User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faulty Canon battery charger (EOS 5D Mark II)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    An update:

I dropped into Canon HQ yesterday.

It's a warranty replacement, and should take several days to get a new charger.

Unfortunately I didn't have my proof of purchase with me, so I'll drop in again on Monday, and I should expect to have a new charger before the end of the week.
    Hang on!

You go to Canon HQ. You demonstrate it isn't working and even if you had the receipt, they still make you wait. (i can understand them wanting the receipt even though they could tell its age from their records). They can't just swap it on the spot for 1 of the 1000 they have in the store room?

Canon = good product but, one must question their care factor about customers.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warranties take effect from the date of purchase. The charger could have been manufactured two years before I bought the camera, or two months before I bought it. The age of the charger isn't proof in itself that I am eligible for warranty service, and Canon may not even track chargers by serial number.

The only way Canon would know that I am eligible for warranty service is by me producing my receipt which shows the date.

That's fair enough, really.

Whether or not I could have my charger replaced on the spot depends on whether there are chargers in stock; if not, it'll be several days to acquire one.

I fortunately have access to another charger in the mean time, but I am unlikely to need it for the next week or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have got them to throw in a free battery as well. You know you might need one, one of these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha. and when that time comes, he'll think of this topic and think "damn they were right" :P
    speaking of, i hope you are doing fine with the one battery and no charger in the meantime

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No no Xenedis - it's not another charger replacement you need

You buy another camera and get the new charger that way

Regards - a very cheeky - Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canon at north ryde are pretty reasonable. i know lots of people that have had to pop in there to fix stuff / claim stuff and they are pretty good and fixing asap or swapping stuff on the spot. much better turn around than if we sent it to them from work

glad to hear its worked out
    ~Emz
    30D, 17-85, 50m 1.4, 100mm macro L IS, 580 ex ii.

~all cc welcome~

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieTraveller View Post
    No no Xenedis - it's not another charger replacement you need

You buy another camera and get the new charger that way
    That does seem like a logical move. Happy to oblige.

What was your credit card number again?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmenz View Post
    canon at north ryde are pretty reasonable. i know lots of people that have had to pop in there to fix stuff / claim stuff and they are pretty good and fixing asap or swapping stuff on the spot.
    I've no complaints about Canon's service; I've been to its service centre on three or four occasions and I've never had a bad experience, but never has the replacement part been in stock.

I dropped my charger in yesterday, and anticipate I should have a new one by the end of the week. I'm not in a hurry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different to my experience

My faulty 24-105 L ... They quoted $700 plus GST to fix. They would only swap out a whole set of components (even stuff that wasn't broken - 'It's the way we work').

I got a call from a camera repair guy recommended by fellow users that the lens, which I took to them is fixed, test and warranted for 6 months, all for $370.

Not what I call fantastic service from Canon; particularly as I twice emailed them to appeal to their sense of fairness about the repair. I was factual and polite - Canon, after 2 weeks has not even acknowledged receipt of my emails.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear that scotty.

i rang canon once and they said theyd call back to fix my login, and they never did. i think their non face to face customer service is pretty poor, but when you walk in is generally better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12