User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arts freedom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I could edit my last few posts I would. In hindsight I might have to agree with I@M's response that it was a cheap shot. I profusely apologise. Basically I tend to be over defensive of friends and colleagues who I know contribute a great deal of time and effort for the benefit of the photographic community. On this topic/occasion my comments weren't intended to target any single person, but to respond to the general comment of negativity about the website and their efforts. So I stuffed up and offended Andrew. For that I sincerely apologise.

The important part is that people are aware of the current situation its worsening conditions and support AFA where and when possible.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFA Update

By sheer coincidence I have just today updated the AFA website and moved it into from a static PHP page setup to a far more flexible Blog style layout which allows commenting and ease of update.

The site has indeed been regrettably dormant, but that has changed now as I have finally found time to give it some attention (we are all unpaid volunteers as Longshots has pointed out). If you check out the normal URL you will see a list of activity over the past few months, some work that Ross Barnett has done, and most importantly a press release put out by Ken Duncan calling for a public rally in Sydney on August 29th to raise public awareness about access issues.

If you are a photographer - amateur or professional - you need to stand up and be counted. Never before has it been so difficult to make images outdoors, and never before have folks with cameras been treated with such suspicion.

We are not criminals
    We are not terrorists
    We are not paedophiles

We are simply recorders of life. if we do not act now when we look back in 25 years there will be a huge hole in the photographic record of these times - a priceless social record that stretches back unbroken for over 150 years.

Nick Rains
    Director AFA
    M. Photog AIPP

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick - thanks for the update (and the update on the website) - it was sorely needed (and I certainly appreciate the difficulties in finding time to do things, especially as a volunteer.)

It's great that you are able to do this - we all really need to get more active, because it will cost us in the long term if we don't.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here Here

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Rains View Post
    By sheer coincidence I have just today updated the AFA website and moved it into from a static PHP page setup to a far more flexible Blog style layout which allows commenting and ease of update.

The site has indeed been regrettably dormant, but that has changed now as I have finally found time to give it some attention (we are all unpaid volunteers as Longshots has pointed out). If you check out the normal URL you will see a list of activity over the past few months, some work that Ross Barnett has done, and most importantly a press release put out by Ken Duncan calling for a public rally in Sydney on August 29th to raise public awareness about access issues.

If you are a photographer - amateur or professional - you need to stand up and be counted. Never before has it been so difficult to make images outdoors, and never before have folks with cameras been treated with such suspicion.

We are not criminals
    We are not terrorists
    We are not paedophiles

We are simply recorders of life. if we do not act now when we look back in 25 years there will be a huge hole in the photographic record of these times - a priceless social record that stretches back unbroken for over 150 years.

Nick Rains
    Director AFA
    M. Photog AIPP
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for taking hede Nick and well done on the much needed upgrade.

As many have suggested here, it really is a cause we should care very much about. It was a shame that it looked like a cause that wasn't cared about. The Blog layout style works much better and is much easier to contribute too, especially to those of us who want to make our point via the comments.

BTW, I know Kym didn't like it, but I do like the Facebook group idea. It works very well for the UK group and is a quick and easy way to communicate to your members.

Longshots, please don't take our comments personally. You have the passion and that needs to be commended, but as a semi outsider looking in, it did look like an empty house.

Well done and keep fighting for the cause.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    BTW, I know Kym didn't like it, but I do like the Facebook group idea. It works very well for the UK group and is a quick and easy way to communicate to your members.
    I have no problem with FB Someone else did. FB can be useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoops, sorry! Yes, that was I&M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Thank you for taking hede Nick and well done on the much needed upgrade.

As many have suggested here, it really is a cause we should care very much about. It was a shame that it looked like a cause that wasn't cared about. The Blog layout style works much better and is much easier to contribute too, especially to those of us who want to make our point via the comments.

Longshots, please don't take our comments personally. You have the passion and that needs to be commended, but as a semi outsider looking in, it did look like an empty house.

Well done and keep fighting for the cause.

Fair point Which I completely agree with. I can assure you that I had the same opinion of the website (ie an empty house, sorely in need of an update).

But for the record, I will happily debate something with some passion, without taking something personally. And I would add that it truly wasnt aware that I had said something that was taken personally. I had intended my point to be quite a generalised question. But on rereading it, had to agree that I'd stuffed up. It comes down to a style of writing which does not always reflect my character
    Last edited by Longshots; 22-04-2010 at 6:35am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only just caught wind on Flickr this morning of the Arts Freedom Australia rally to take place in Sydney on 29/08/2010.

IMO, this is a worthy cause, and one Sydney photographers should not miss.

Details are here: http://www.artsfreedomaustralia.com/blog/?p=99

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I only just caught wind on Flickr this morning of the Arts Freedom Australia rally to take place in Sydney on 29/08/2010.

IMO, this is a worthy cause, and one Sydney photographers should not miss.

Details are here: http://www.artsfreedomaustralia.com/blog/?p=99
    I only became aware of this yesterday and, despite what has been said above, the blog part of the site is very current.

While I do not agree with everything that Ken Duncan says I am right behind him on this one and I intend to get involved.

Any others from here coming along?
    Ray Allen.

Pentax K10D, DA 18-55, DA 50-200, Tamron Di LD Macro 70-300, Tamron SP Di II 10-24, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP, Asahi Pentax SP1000, assorted Super-Takumar & SMC screw-mount lenses. Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod + 804RC2 Head, 680B Monopod + 234RC Head.
    Software used: PS CS3 Extended/CS5 Extended, ACR 6.3, Lightroom 3.3, NIK Software plug-ins, FastStone 4.2, ACDSee 10, SilverFast Ai.
    My Flickr Images | My Web Site | Owner of Yahoo! Spotmatic Group
    For 350+ blood/plasma donations to Red Cross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Tony. I'll watch those threads. I had planned to come by public transport so a dawn shoot is out of the question. But I might try to meet up with y'all at some stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you make it for breakfast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12