Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Very disturbing article in the SMH today

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually read all of that, Arthur. Sounds reasonable to me.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well put Artie.

And thank goodness for the influx of European migrants in the '40s/'50s/'60s. For starters they taught Aussies that there was more to the evening meal than meat and three veg. They brought their customs and culture with them, and some have been adopted by the general populace. They also brought their faith and religious beliefs with them, however, as you alluded to, those beliefs are being eroded with each succeeding generation.

Education is enabling people to question handed down beliefs, and make up their own minds about 'where did we come from'. Religious indoctrination from a very young age will also lose it's influence over time, as has been the case with Protestantism and Catholicism.

I believe that the average Aussie is non-racist and judges a person by what they are, and not who they are, or where they came from. I also believe that most want the new arrivals to become one of 'us' and not be isolationist with their own schools and burqa mentality. Walk into a bank with a full face motorbike helmet on and see how you go.

It seems to be the testosterone overloaded young men who are embracing the radical policies. This happens in most cultures, although it very seldom goes as far as terrorism and the killing of innocents.

And yes, you are right, they will "be assimilated, they will blend in at their own pace and things will eventually settle and the path will smooth itself out."

My fervent wish is that there will be no more senseless killing during the assimilation process.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a 7th generation Australian and I still believe I am English. My best friend in school in the 60's was an Italian. Australia is known for being racist (bullshit). The European influx was a god sent, as proven by time, most have integrated 100%. but I am not saying they should forget their roots. The new influx will never integrate, and in fact are not allowed to, by their own law. Yes they have their own laws and do not respect our laws. Why is it that most of the influx are male, while most of the refugees back home are female. Why is it that a head Muslim leader has just stated, that it is OK to kill non-believers. Why is it that the main stream media do not report the atrocities in the East. I could go on and on and by the end I most likely will be banned from this site, so I will stop here.
    I have been taking photos for 50 years. I am now trying to get into Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on Grump. What you say just isn't true. I remember when Italians were viewed the same way (after all, they were the enemy during WW2). It doesn't help to repeat urban myths as if they were facts.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a very interesting read from the start to the end of this.
    Many saying the same sort of thing and some with different stories to.
    I am not to sure on if they will try to become as this is going more Australian. But I am sure of this.
    There is good and bad in all races that decide to park their bums here. So do we treat the good one like the bad ones.
    Its up to you to work out just who is who.

I also agree that many Australians are not racist at all. As I know as a kid I knocked about with quite a lot of Aboriginal kids.
    And this is having sleep overs. I have done the same with the Greeks and Italians.
    But here is a thing that I have notice especially where I am now.

We have got many Italians and Greeks here who how come over here many years ago.
    And I am now 56 and these have been here longer than I have been alive.
    Yet some of these oldies still only know how to say yes and no. Have they tried to become more Australian the others.
    I would have to say no, because they expect you to know what they are grunting at.
    As my wife told me from working at Woolworth's. She even told me that a lot of the new Iranians are very much disrespectful of women.
    So lets not start saying that this is a one race thing. Let look at it on a person or family by family thing.
    There will always be some who will come here and talk crap but couldn't do the same if they were still where they came from.

Do I like these new ones coming into the country? Not real sure as if they look at me like a piece of crap I will give them the same look.
    I find that some are good people, but I will not tar them with the same brush.
    But the ones I will tar with the same brush are the telemarketers who are calling to rip you off.
    Now lets work on getting those lowlifes out in the open and start to treat people how you would like to be treated.

And on one point I do own a ute as I just got another one after a long wait, but I be buggered if I will go to church.
    The church is a place where so much crap comes from in the first place. So I disagree with that point someone made.

There is another point to be made also, over time I have been sent some so called funny emails from people.
    And when you open them they are some of the most racist things that you will see.
    I will open it and work out quite quickly what it is about and delete it right away and make sure that it has not got an extra life from me if I sent it on.
    What I have seen which some think is funny is straight out racist to the full degree. So this is another form of what this is all about, which needs to be stopped also.
    Last edited by Crysis; 03-11-2015 at 4:10pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Crysis. I reckon the people with a superiority complex are certainly the inferior ones.
    Yer gettem everywhere, and they come from everywhere.
    Oh, can I add advertisers to your telemarketers? Ta.
    (How about people who want to raise the GST? Oh, you're too kind.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what about those daylight saving voters, West coast eagle supporters and Canon users!!!! Give me strength....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regards

Wayne

Nikon D610, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.4G, Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5, Manfrotto & MeFOTO tripods, Ninja pano head & LEE filters

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After much soul searching I've decided that if mainstream Oz, and probably most of the Western world, goes pear shaped, which my gut tells me it's going to, I'm going to apply to migrate to Yidindji.

I'll not take any 'baggage' with me, I'm prepared to become fluent in the local language, and make a commitment to embrace their culture and beliefs.

To those of you not familiar with the Yidindji nation, they have been caring for, and nurturing their 'country' for about 40,000 years. Australians, on the other hand, in particular those who arrived post 1788, have managed to rape, pillage and burn their 'homeland' in the short space of 227 years.

OK, I'm coming out of the closet here (no, not that one). I have no desire to associate with people who treat their womenfolk as chattels and deny them an education, who believe that those that don't follow their particular brand of religious mumbo jumbo are unworthy, second class citizens, and want to impose their will and beliefs on everyone else. Religion is a 'club' that is long overdue for disbanding. Quite frankly, I'm over it !!!!

Where is Yidindji ? http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/murrumu-wa...02-gkok6g.html

See ya up there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, but will the Yidindji people accept you, Cage. I find that it can take some considerable time to understand the culture and gain the trust of our indigenous brothers. I think our Muslim brothers are demonstrating just that at present. Perhaps you should have a backup plan - just in case.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Ah, but will the Yidindji people accept you, Cage. I find that it can take some considerable time to understand the culture and gain the trust of our indigenous brothers. I think our Muslim brothers are demonstrating just that at present. Perhaps you should have a backup plan - just in case.
    Geez, I hope so Steve.

My back-up plan is somewhere near Nimbin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of indigenous people up here, so maybe that would work. Nimbin has its own peculiarities of course. But maybe that would help you to forget, or at least not care. It works for them. Well, maybe it doesn't.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    ..... Religion is a 'club' that is long overdue for disbanding. Quite frankly, I'm over it !!!!

Where is Yidindji ? ....

See ya up there.
    ... I'll probably see 'ya up there too.

The worst thing our folks(first gens) did for us, in the sense of them wanting 'us' (second gens) .. was to strongly urge us to continue on with school(rather than say follow in their business footsteps or whatever) .. and in going so I got an education.

Now .. unless our currently understanding of history is completely distorted, this religion that they so fervently held onto as 'their culture' .. committed the exact same atrocities as the current bunch of (well known)morons are now doing with their religious beliefs.
    Heads removed, very personal BBQ's with special guest appearances by the great non believer etc ... rampant quests to remove those same non believer types in far flung corners of the world .. etc, etc.
    What's changed?
    Islam appears to have become Christianity .... 500 years later!
    I don't think it's too far fetched to believe that 500 years ago there were the true believers in Christianity, the one's that simply spread the word and just believed in the faith for themselves.
    But history remembers the lunatic fringe and mentally unbalanced egomaniacs for the inhumanity they were allowed to serve for so long.
    So again, what's changed? .. from what I see .. only the name of the lunatic fringe's party!

Up until high school, I was like every other second gen migrant .. we were ridiculed at school .. the big bad 'W' word and so on and so forth.
    Why, because we ate olives and fetta(probably) .. who knows(actually who cares) .. but those same losers all probably eat olives and fetta cheese now(but probably only on their pizzas! )
    In high school with the stigma of being a non Aussie still apparent, my choice to refrain(basically rebel) against my folks culture was based solely on my new historical enlightenment .. nothing to do with the occasional taunts of not being truly Aussie.

As for the Islamic faith, I know many muslim people(worked with up until only very recently), and all were great people. I don't believe in it, and have had many heated debates over the point of religion(not one particular religion!) with them too.
    Of the 5 muslim workmates I recently knew, 4 were first gen migrants(only in the last 10 years or so) and one was a baby when his parents migrated here(so basically is a second gen).
    He and one of the other(first gens) .. believe in the faith, but only in name(as a front) .. the other 3 are more or less faithful.
    But I firmly believe that all the kids of those first gens(ie. the second gen muslims) in the years to come will dilute their belief in the faith to a degree. And in 20 or so years time, their kids(the about to come 3rd gens) will have basically completely forgotten it too.

Religions are going to slowly die out. It'll take a few years, and if they don't all kill themselves first ... remember all this ISIS crap we read about every day is probably worse in the sense that they're fighting each other more so than 'us' infidels!
    Christianity will probably only be a word that someone remember was supposed to describe something so long ago .. but no one will know exactly what.

It may take a generation of three, but the only religious dilemma remaining in the years to come will be ... Android vs iOS(and hopefully they won't turn to violence in 500 years time! )
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Succinctly put Arthur.

I wonder if there is any way we can fast forward the transformation ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add one more thing, which is the basis of my trustworthiness. A few years back, I used to ride my pushbike to work and back. The trip home was a distance of 42km, so I was not dawdling. One day while tearing along a bike path along side the Merri Creek in Coburg, what did I see coming my way. Father and son taking up the head, 4 females coming up the rear covered head to foot. As I approached the son stepped aside to let me through. The father grabbed him and placed him back beside him. Now I had a split second choice, run the kid over, which would had dislodged me from the bike and well have been beaten to death before I was conscious, or leave the track and be impaled by a tree. I choose the second. I did come a cropper in the bush, but un impaled. When I got to my feet and looked at where I had come from, there was Father, son and the 4 females, walking off as if nothing had happened. I could have been badly injured or worse, did they care, NO. In fact I think they wanted me hurt. This act told me, the Father was telling his son "he is not one of us, so he does not matter". Now you are going to say, but that was just one. OK, so next time, do I trust them to step aside for me. NO. It will not happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur...interesting. I always imagined you with an English background. Now I find out that you are Greek? Well, I suppose the Greeks do like to talk...

Being of a similar vintage, I remember the waves of refugees - Greeks and Italians arrived before I was born but I remember them and their kids being called names. I remember the Vietnamese boat people and the horrible names I called them.

I attended a Catholic school and in the late sixties we had to walk home past a State School and the boys there threw rocks at us and chanted, "Cattle Ticks! Dirty Micks!".

These days, a Catholic marrying a Protestant barely raises an eyebrow. The Vietnamese are seen as model citizens. Greeks and Italians are so mainstream they are (almost) boring. Australian food and restaurant culture are major beneficiaries of all of the different cultures that have arrived. One day...soon...everyone will have the same thoughts about middle-Eastern migrants. I work with plenty of Muslims and they are all fine people.

Sure, there is a very small, very vocal minority of Muslims who feel aggrieved and express their grievances inappropriately. They actually need to be listened to and be assured that they are welcome here. Telling them to love the Australian Flag or go back to where they came from is a very short-sighted position.

These people are here and they are not leaving. The more people are marginalised, the more they resist assimilating. Embrace them. Please.
    Andrew

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a classic case of the kettle calling the pot black. So we are proud to call ourselves Australian. We are more Australian because our highest claim to fame is we won a swimming race nine months before we were born. Most of us have never defended Australia in any way, paid the minimum amount of tax legally sanctioned upon us and only follow the law because we don't want to pay fines. It is only by luck you have the right to call yourself an Australian - not sure if you are going to have the same amount of luck next time around.

We seem to forget we invaded this great country of ours. Yes before we "moved" over here (does that makes us all immigrants) there were Australians living in this country, and probably given they were here for thousands of years before your ancestors come over, are more Australian than you claim to be.

Now I don't really remember us Australians taking on the Indigenous culture nor fitting into their way of living with our hosts. If I read my history correctly us new Australians did not like the existing Australian laws and cultures so we shot the buggers. Of course history is a little shy on the exact details - don't want to degenerate us Australians do we. We bought with us disease, new better laws, our own version of religion and a better education system. Oh we also brought with us the dregs of society which we let loose on the local population after inhumanely treating them for seven or fourteen years. We did not bother to learn the language and I am sure we never learnt the words to the existing Australian National Anthem (we bought our own with us and made the host learn that). Who amongst you will say the original folks here who refused to sing "God save the Queen" are any less Australian.

Now if I remember correctly us Australians did not treat our women too well either - woman rioted in 1827 over working conditions and food deprivation, not allowed to vote in elections until 1895 and even not allowed to enter upper house of parliament until 1959. It wasn't until 1943 the first woman entered the senate. Ah yes we are quick to degenerate other societies for women's rights but we forget about own Australian progress. Some would argue and rightly so we still don't treat women with equal rights in Australia.

Yes us Australians are quick to judge others. You see we are all good Australians even the Martin Bryants, Ivan Milats and other degenerates amongst this great country.

So next time you are thinking you have more rights to this great country of ours - try putting yourselves in some of our new Australians shoes. What must it take to leave your family, get on a boat and put your life at risk to start a new life. How bad are the conditions where you come from to risk all you have to start again. For most of us we can only imagine - and then we can not imagine the cold, discomfort, stress, fear, pain and intimidation these people feel.

The truth is these new Australians are in some ways more entitled to call Australia home than we are. When we offer them residency in Australia they work hard, pay taxes, contribute to education and culture. They enrich our society. In truth these people will become as Australian as you and I in a couple of generations - and we will be grateful they had the opportunity to call Australian home.

My personal preference for the Australian National Anthem would have been either "Up there Cazaly" or "C'mon Aussie C'mon C'mon" - I am sure our North Qld friends would have sung those anthems with pride.
    Last edited by Brian500au; 03-11-2015 at 10:53pm.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Actually, maybe Joyce is the surname .. only just clicked!
    Yep, after the next election he's potentially Deputy PM and Acting PM at times. Now that would make me proud to be Australian.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thegrump View Post
    Why is it that the main stream media do not report the atrocities in the East.
    Seems to me they are happy to do so, if them atrocities are committed by people from the "East".
    They're not so happy to report the atrocities of the West committed in the "East". It was fun when George and Tony and John invaded Iraq. Hang on, they didn't report the resultant atrocities. We are still dealing with the result of that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite tired of people bringing up the wrongs of 200 years ago to justify and argument. 200 years ago we were a uneducated bunch of illiterate morons, who in most cases thought the world was flat. Today we are educated, some what intelligent, we have the internet to furthers our knowledge, and in most cases we know we did the original residence of this country wrong. But what was the alternative stay back in England. Let the Japanese, Indonesians, French, Chinese, who ever inhabit this land, the consequences for the locals may well have been even worse. I am glad my fore fathers invaded this great country, otherwise I would not be living in the best chunk of earth on this planet.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite tired of people bringing up the wrongs of 200 years ago to justify and argument.
    Yes lets ignore history - then we can repeat the same wrongs again today

200 years ago we were a uneducated bunch of illiterate morons, who in most cases thought the world was flat. Today we are educated, some what intelligent, we have the internet to furthers our knowledge,
    Mmmm..Some might disagree with this statement, after all we did elect Tony Abbott as our leader.

But what was the alternative stay back in England. Let the Japanese, Indonesians, French, Chinese, who ever inhabit this land, the consequences for the locals may well have been even worse.
    In the words of the great Eric Idle "how much worse could it have been?" I have a feeling given the results of the first invasion the locals may opt for a different choice if they actually could choose again.

I am glad my fore fathers invaded this great country, otherwise I would not be living in the best chunk of earth on this planet.
    Once again in the words of the great Eric Idle "Lucky lucky bastard"

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Precis:
    We're all wrong and we're all right all of the time.
    And we're always telling each other so.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast