Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
Agreed we will pay more for GST by 10%. Personally, I thought the Aussie pricing is not too bad compared with US pricing even when exchange rates are taken into account. Our street price is still below that in Japan and well under British and European prices.

All in all the $3400 I will pay is close to the US price after deductiong GST. It is unusual for the US and Aussie prices on any technology to be so close together which to me indicates that Nikon has decided it has to brice more fairly accross the globe. I guess that is one advantage from them taking over distribution directly in this country rather than going through a Distributor (which was Maxwells).
Just to clarify a couple of things, Rod. GST has nothing to do with pricing. The US has both federal and state taxes almost double those in Oz. Keep in mind that Nikon Australia is simply a local distributor and is in no way related to Nikon International other than by distribution contract. If the market was a little larger it would be great to see two distributors in Oz for Nikon and then we would see great local prices. Monopolies never serve the buyer.