Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  46
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: D800 is here..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    If there are any more doubters still around, D800 just got DXOMarked.
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/New...-a-score-of-95
    Not that it's the be all and end all of tests, afterall each photographer needs to work out what's best for him/herself but this should be a pretty strong endorsement.
    My only problem is I've never come close to exceeding the capabilities of my D700 so surely this thing would be wasted on me lol.
    WOW is all I can say
    http://www.lukezeme.com

Nikon D800, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is certainly shaping up to be one heck of a camera, and most likely the camera that would make me jump to FX, although I don't think I'd part with the D300s anytime soon.

I do have a silly question though. Would the D800 still have the same amazing low light capabilities when it's in DX crop mode? Does the DX crop mode only effect resolution?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bchip View Post

I do have a silly question though. Would the D800 still have the same amazing low light capabilities when it's in DX crop mode? Does the DX crop mode only effect resolution?
    The crop mode does not really change anything. It just uses part of the sensor so that the image that would have fallen onto the rest of the sensor is thrown away so you are left with 15 mp. I can't see how that would affect the low light performance. It's a bit of a waste of the sensor though!
    RodW
    Brisbane south side

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how you evaluate noise.
    On a per pixel basis, using an FX camera in DXcrop mode has no effects.
    The D800 in DX crop mode is likely going to perform slightly better than a D7000.
    But when evaluating the picture as a whole, in FX you have 2.25X the surface area for light collection.
    So even though per pixel noise stays the same, you will get better noise performance in FX as a whole.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all that has been said about the D800 requiring only the best glass and photography technique, one fella has set out to take a photo with that body doing a lot of wrong things.

According to him, the exif data backs up his words but we all know that it can be edited, he took this image hand holding the D800 with a 70-200 VR11.
    The exif says 1/125, F/2.8 iso 200 @ 180mm, standard picture control with the default "3" sharpening applied.

It surprises me how much flexibility there is in the jpeg to bring up some more detail with simple curves adjustments without seemingly degrading the image much.
    Even though the image contains relatively little light, colour and detail it still measures just under 20mb.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, we should start seeing plenty coming from these cameras (now that Nikon Aus finally have stock in shops).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this from a email statement from Camera Pro for my order on the Nikon D800

"Over the past few weeks, information from Nikon has been difficult to obtain, however last night and a little ahead of schedule, Nikon announced that stores would be stocking the D800 from today. As you have probably already gathered, pre-orders in Australia have far outstripped supply, and will continue to do so for some time.

The initial shipment from Nikon has been incredibly small to all stores, however the good news is that stock has been advised to be shipping every 7-10 days presently, and shipment quantities are expecting to increase in size into April.

I’m writing this in the interests of both transparency, and to share in both your frustration, and excitement for what is arguably the most important release from Nikon in years.

Given that your order with us is in second half of orders, we do anticipate this to still be filled within a relatively reasonable timeframe of the next 4-8 weeks.

CameraPro is a major partner with Nikon Australia in Professional product, and as such we do receive priority allocations in comparison with a lot of stores.

As a business, we are in constant daily contact with Nikon Australia, seeking information regarding dates and quantities"
    Last edited by Chris G; 26-03-2012 at 8:38pm.
    Photographer & Retoucher at L'Obsession Secrète

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First impressions from Brad Hill here : http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has any been checking out the images from the D800 Group on Flickr? ( Can I say that ? cant remember lol )

Seriously do yourself a favour and go look, some of the images being produced are pretty amazing..

Also I was reading on Nikon Remours that the LCD screen on the D800 may have a colour prob, there are images compared to the D4 side by side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive just listed my D300s for sale..im thinking Ill go for a used D700...Id love a D800 but im not sure if Ill need it...hmm something to ponder in the coming days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So anyone here actually have a D800 yet?
    They're understandably sold out everywhere, even listed at prices like $3899 - $900 over US price! Certain other new cameras have plenty of floor stock tho...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    So anyone here actually have a D800 yet?
    They're understandably sold out everywhere, even listed at prices like $3899 - $900 over US price! Certain other new cameras have plenty of floor stock tho...
    quite a few colleagues in Adelaide have D800s and some with D4s now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! I'll be shooting on the Island of Reunion in May. Saw a few listed on ebay yesterday for $4199.00 so if you have rocks in your head you can get one immediately.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard that the first shipment to Nikon Australia was as little as 34 D800s - not alot to go round as of yet. Hoping to get mine prior to May.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    Heard that the first shipment to Nikon Australia was as little as 34 D800s - not alot to go round as of yet. Hoping to get mine prior to May.
    Definitely not. Even a small jb hifi got 3 in the 1st round.
    From what several retailers said it sounded like if you put your $ down you could get one in the month, but who knows.
    Don't like the idea of so much over US price tho, but things may go UK way and go up :|

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it was only 34 as from what I can glean, many shops received at least two and that really only would equate to 17 stores. I think the figure would have to be a hundred at least if not more. Don't forget, many are just shop demos or sold to the NPS (Nikon Professional Service) which would get first dibs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    Definitely not. Even a small jb hifi got 3 in the 1st round.
    From what several retailers said it sounded like if you put your $ down you could get one in the month, but who knows.
    Don't like the idea of so much over US price tho, but things may go UK way and go up :|

what price are Jbs selling them for ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    what price are Jbs selling them for ?
    $3899 and they still have backorders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=reaction;1002128]$3899 and they still have backorders QUOTE

I have mine and it is a real bargain at that price.
    If you can, lock in the price.
    Nikon is already raising it some places in Europe and on the D800e in the US

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe there was some kind of demo fleet that came in early, but the first round of "for sale" cameras was without a doubt more than that.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast