Folks.

That is: How fast is your Internet connection in MBits/sec or KBits/sec? I need some info to throw at Optus.

I was at a friend's place at a block of 8 flats near Waverton (N. Sydney). He recently got an Optus Naked DSL service.
He uses a TP-Link 300MBit/sec modem router and a 300MBit/sec receiver. That is, N-class stuff.

I was idling through AP while testing the performance and noted old dog's recent Queenstown train post took more than 20 sec to load - much slower than on my cable connection at home.

So I went to CNet and ran this bandwidth test, using the "At Home" option.

Test 1
For the setup at Waverton it gave a line speed of 1.04 MBits/sec.
For my little Netbook (also N-class) using the same TP-Link setup I got slightly more at 1.1 MBit/sec.

Test 2
I called a friend in Mudgee NSW who has only a 1.5MBit/sec Internet connection and got him to the the same test from the same site.
He got a line speed of 1.32 Mbit/sec. OK, close enough, you could say.

Test 3
So then I ran this test at my place on the Optus cable (10 MBit/sec) and got 9.7 MBit/sec, just for comparison.

I think there's something wrong with the Naked DSL connection. Is it supposed to be ADSL 2+ speed?

Can anybody do any similarly comparable tests - ie, live in a block of flats in the Syd. Lower North Shore, even if it's not Naked ADSL, even if it's not Optus.

Use the same test site for standardisation, viz CNet's Bandwidth Meter.

Just a few tests would do. I'd be grateful, and I want a bit of info before I contact Optus about it.

Ta, Am.