I just visited the Monash Galley to see the contenders for the Bowness Photography Prize, and as I wandered around it struck me that often these photographers take their image, and then write "deep and meaningful" rubbish to support the image. To me, although some images can be quite spiritual and generate a whole range of emotions, mostly the description that photographers attach to their photos come across as a whole lot of manufactured bull****. Here's one example where the photographer got his sister to lie across a log. His description ....

Through photography I can represent my love, fears and deep feelings within a frame. Movement, stillness and contrasting emotional elements are imperative as I feel this represents life’s binaries as well as the ever-changing, sensual and powerful qualities of nature; with which I have a deep connection.
Here in a grassy nook along the Great Ocean Road is a photo of my younger sister. The smell and feeling of this moment is forever caught in time as a symbol of growth. The soft tones and symmetry create a sense of calmness and the depth of field through line gives a feeling of movement whilst she is, in contrast, in a state of stillness.

Is it just me ... or is this sort of thing just a whole lot of self-gratification (for want of a shorter word) ?

The images is at http://www.mga.org.au/bowness-prize/...index/image/72