User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  55
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me .... or are some photographers a little bit full of it.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me .... or are some photographers a little bit full of it.

I just visited the Monash Galley to see the contenders for the Bowness Photography Prize, and as I wandered around it struck me that often these photographers take their image, and then write "deep and meaningful" rubbish to support the image. To me, although some images can be quite spiritual and generate a whole range of emotions, mostly the description that photographers attach to their photos come across as a whole lot of manufactured bull****. Here's one example where the photographer got his sister to lie across a log. His description ....

Through photography I can represent my love, fears and deep feelings within a frame. Movement, stillness and contrasting emotional elements are imperative as I feel this represents life’s binaries as well as the ever-changing, sensual and powerful qualities of nature; with which I have a deep connection.
    Here in a grassy nook along the Great Ocean Road is a photo of my younger sister. The smell and feeling of this moment is forever caught in time as a symbol of growth. The soft tones and symmetry create a sense of calmness and the depth of field through line gives a feeling of movement whilst she is, in contrast, in a state of stillness.

Is it just me ... or is this sort of thing just a whole lot of self-gratification (for want of a shorter word) ?

The images is at http://www.mga.org.au/bowness-prize/...index/image/72

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, to me also this is a a large amount of solution used to bathe creatures of the porcine family.

Oh, well! More evidence that the world is a BIG place. -- And that's why we DON'T get visits from ALIENS - they think we're mad!

In the example cited, neither the picture nor the prose is any any way persuasive

- - - Updated - - -

-Oh! Except to give credence to the 2nd point above.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "sensual and powerful qualities of nature" - "Here in a grassy nook along the Great Ocean Road is a photo of my younger sister"

Well I have checked out his photo of his younger sister and I agree his spiel is a little "full of it". What bothers me even more is that the two statements above he made in regard to the photo he took of his sister

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to worry about "him/he", guys. It's a Clare Bedford. HOWEVER, I clicked on a couple back and forth and I think
    some of them would be illegal (one ot two back in particular!!).

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'arty' scene. What can I say other than starts with W and ends in

An image should stand without title or description.

I was one of the panel judges for the Adelaide CC annual on Tuesday night - there were some very stunning images that needed no words. The ones in the OP are ok, but would not have made the top images on Tuesday
    Last edited by Kym; 20-11-2015 at 5:54pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ......The smell and feeling of this moment is forever caught in time as a symbol of growth.
    What a load of gobbledy gook.

Now Bob, in the interests of giving some credence to the artist's explanation of the shot, did you give it the sniff test?
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can generate your own "Arty Bollocks" statement here:

http://www.artybollocks.com/
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post

My work explores the relationship between Pre-raphaelite tenets and unwanted gifts.

With influences as diverse as Nietzsche and John Cage, new tensions are generated from both simple and complex dialogues.
    Ever since I was a postgraduate I have been fascinated by the endless oscillation of relationships. What starts out as hope soon becomes corrupted into a manifesto of greed, leaving only a sense of dread and the possibility of a new order.
    As spatial phenomena become clarified through emergent and repetitive practice, the viewer is left with a tribute to the inaccuracies of our condition.

Fantastic!
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the combination of photography and poetry/prose can work very well on occasions. Unfortunately, telling a photographer to give an "Artist statement and here are a few examples" - often leads to what is adequately described by other posters. I've been invited by an American writer/poet to do a joint exhibition. Not sure how it will work yet, but its an interesting idea.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    What a load of gobbledy gook.

Now Bob, in the interests of giving some credence to the artist's explanation of the shot, did you give it the sniff test?
    Yeah .... they needed to revive me!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep.. Photographers are full of it.. Well I know I am. and it is often referred to as being full of shit!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Based on a couple of the entered images they should have got Bill Henson to enter a photo. think of the publicity they missed out on.

Thanks, I wondered where some wine makers were getting some of the stuff I've stopped reading on their bottles.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We may be full of it Rick, but generally in our case a bit of alcohol needs to be in the system before we can even think of this sort of spiel!
    This sort of bull sounds like a good idea for an April fools day photo competition.
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 20-11-2015 at 10:31pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be an idea for a future weekly challenge where each week the challenge is to make an image that fits the text generated from the above site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a photo needs a statement of what it is about then it is a weak photo in my book. A photo does not need to have one concise interpretation.
    Language is a clumsy way to explain a photo, words are loaded with multiple meanings, weights and general misdirection.

Too often I find just the requirement of a title has swayed what people think of a picture I have taken, they suggest ways I could have done the photo to better depict the title, the title is a greater pointer to them of what I was out to achieve in the image than the image itself. Fact is I am rubbish at titles.

I like to let people give their own interpretation of an image of mine before offering my own perceptive on it. It is always good to know others thought process on an image. My own explanation are not a correction, just to inform of the thought process in doing the picture as it is.

I short I think photography and words are a poor mix.
    Let words create their own imagery and images communicate in the language of visual stimulus.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that is what I call a handy link

Next time I need to create one of these heaps of garbage, I'll know where to go without sitting there banging my head against the computer screen

Years ago I was approached by an artist for a loan of some animals for one of his compositions. The email with the request was very clear, concise, business like and logically set out, so instead of reaching for the delete button, I reached for Google. They were an up and coming artist in their field, so I loaned the animals. We became friends and at all times their conversation was sane, normal and concise. Every time I see any of their works in exhibitions and competitions, it is accompanied by an artists statement similar to the Bollocks Statements above. Knowing this artist, I'd have to suspect he is rolling over laughing every time he writes his "artists statements", but they seem to be working nicely

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I short I think photography and words are a poor mix.
    Let words create their own imagery and images communicate in the language of visual stimulus.
    Sometimes they are a poor mix (especially when text doesn't add anything), sometimes it is giving the image something extra (or vice versa). Personally, I have been toying with a combination of haiku (or what in my book is pretty close to a haiku) and photo which I feel is a pretty good match.

Words actually can strengthen the message, just as much as an image that illustrates words. A newspaper without images is pretty dull and won't convey the message - but a newspaper with just images would be just as useless.

Sure, an image *can* tell a story - I may even go so far that I think an image without an intrinsic story is lifeless eye-candy at best (YMMV). But that doesn't mean text could not add depth to an image... (just not the crap referred to earlier ).
    Last edited by jev; 21-11-2015 at 1:53am.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    It could be an idea for a future weekly challenge where each week the challenge is to make an image that fits the text generated from the above site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or a photo of the week or three ...thanks!

Generated a few and then took some key phrases and made them comp themes.. for example "Consumerism and urban spaces"
    Last edited by ricktas; 21-11-2015 at 8:17am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Based on a couple of the entered images they should have got Bill Henson to enter a photo. think of the publicity they missed out on.

Thanks, I wondered where some wine makers were getting some of the stuff I've stopped reading on their bottles.
    A Tasmanian sparkling just won the Champion Wine at the Australian National Wine show. First time ever that a sparkling has won the gong. The winery owner came up with this doozie to describe his wine to the media:

"It is very fine, and elegant and complex," he said. "It often has a toast and mushroom and butter type flavours and surprisingly enough it almost has a fresh oyster, or seaside character."

Sounds like a nice breakfast dish rather than a wine

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-2...=statenews_tas

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    "It is very fine, and elegant and complex," he said. "It often has a toast and mushroom and butter type flavours and surprisingly enough it almost has a fresh oyster, or seaside character."
    [/B]
    Sounds like a nice breakfast dish rather than a wine ...
    Sounds like he had too much of it for breakfast
    Last edited by ameerat42; 21-11-2015 at 9:18am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast