Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
Yep, that sums it up to me. Total expenditure needed.

Besides, I read the other day that they limit the recording time to just under 30 mins for some reason or another and then someone noted that it was a good thing because it allowed them to edit out 28 minutes of crap easily.
I must say that the video features are an added bonus for me and is one reason why I waited for the D800 instead of grabbing a D700. Not that I expect to use it a lot but to get a broadcast quality video camera for free is very appealing.

I've played around with video in the past but always gravitated back to still photos. Now the editing is much easier in Premiere and Final Cut Pro so maybe I might use it a bit more. I can't see the 30 min limit is an issue for anything I do. The only thing I can think of would be if you were filming a live event and you wanted to devote one camera to record a master track so you got all of the audio and a wide shot. A cheap dedicated camera would be fine for this as you probably would not use much footage from this source.

I think if you are planning in using video, you should budget on a video microphone (eg. Rode) and maybe a zoom hn4 audio recorder and possibly a wired lapel mic. Might cost a bit more than $5 but it would come in well under $500!