Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (NTP) : ISO Challenge : 2011

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Juanny. Flickr have very specific rules regarding linking from them to other sites. please read this : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...Ausphotography
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. I did read this but missed the BB Code and posted the HTML instead. Thanks for pointing out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope its not to late to do this challenge Im new to the forum and and new to DSLR as well but seen this and thought this could be fun anyway I just hope im doing it right
    f22 ISO 200

f22 ISO 3200
    Last edited by Nikkie; 05-06-2011 at 3:27pm.
    All experts were once beginners

Nikon D3100 18 55 kit lens Nikon 35 mm Nikon 70 300mm optex tripod

MWAH! Sandy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkie View Post
    I hope its not to late to do this challenge Im new to the forum and and new to DSLR as well but seen this and thought this could be fun anyway I just hope im doing it right
    f22 ISO 200
    Sorry I posted first time image was too big now they are too small
    f22 ISO 3200

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nikkie you need to upload them at a size of around 1000 pixels on the longest side to photobucket, and then link them in. Also, this challenge is not about just posting your results. You are supposed to tell us what you learnt from the exercise. What effect did changing the ISO have on the photo, and other camera settings, like shutter speed, and why you think this happened etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very sorry about that ricktas I will remember to resize from now on I seem to have a lot of trouble with M setting on my camera for some reason it took me a few goes to the ISO 3200 to take any type of photos I was not sure if you were allowed to use a flash but I got it in the long run I can see that the ISO is darker almost turning day into night but I think the challenge idea is great and good fun it will give me something to keep trying thank you

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban mandab99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya...just reading through this post. I was wondering since the first couple of photos had the same result of being slightly brighter the higer the ISO how come the last example from NIkkie was the opposite? Is it because the shutter speed was faster in Nikkie's ???

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandab99 View Post
    Hiya...just reading through this post. I was wondering since the first couple of photos had the same result of being slightly brighter the higer the ISO how come the last example from NIkkie was the opposite? Is it because the shutter speed was faster in Nikkie's ???
    LIGHT. Everything you do in photography is about Light, the amount of it and the quality of it. The two members photos you mention were taken under very different lighting conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cfm: I have found that in manual mode my D60 has a couple of hidden (faster) ways to adjust Shutter, Aperture and ISO, you just need to read the manual to figure them out (rather than the long windy way through the menus - which also bumps your camera a lot more)!

When I was out at Uluru getting some star shots I learned a LOT about ISO
    The high ISO (D60 goes to 1600 or 3200 in Hi mode) produced way too much noise and the black sky really wasnt black - well its not black anyway - but the contrast just went downhill
    So I dropped to 800 ISO and doubled the exposure time to around 2 minutes and got much better results, with less noise, better contrast and star colour, however then you start to get star trails...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandab99 View Post
    thanks for asking I was wondering the same thing even tho there was only a couple of minutes between the two it was that type of day sunny one minute and cloudy the next so I think that is why as I did not do them one right after the other but it was only a few minutes in between from sunny to cloudy but not much in time only a few minutes it was not like I did one at 1 PM and the other at 4 PM

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks for asking I was wondering the same thing even tho there was only a couple of minutes between the two it was that type of day sunny one minute and cloudy the next so I think that is why as I did not do them one right after the other but it was only a few minutes in between from sunny to cloudy but not much in time only a few minutes it was not like I did one at 1 PM and the other at 4 PM
    So as per the challenge, when you took them, what did your learn about changing the ISO. You left your aperture at f22 but what happened to the shuuter speed (which if you set your camera up as asked in the challenge) should have done something, what did it do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shutter speed was slower when I took the 2nd photo

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The shutter speed was slower when I took the 2nd photo
    Umm, if the shutter speed was slower with the higher ISO shot, then you did not have your camera setup as advised in the challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh ok Rick just so I can be sure I understood the challenge correctly I ll explain what happened. First so I have it 100% clear in my own head when you said set your camera to aperture I thought that meant (A) on the dial ? and when you said go to Manual I took that to be (M) on the dial ? when you said ISO I took that to be setting ISO setting in the camera menu itself ? The first photo I took the brighter of the ( 2) to me the shutter seemed to go off faster and when I took the 2nd photo the darker of the 2 I had a lot of trouble getting any photos at all I was just seeing black screen It took 3 goes and on the 3rd go I held the shutter release button it went click held button down and then it went click quiet slow that was the 2nd button maybe I did not understand the challenge I would appreciate it if you could let me to do this challenge again as I feel its the only way to learn and I am very keen to learn it might just take me longer to get it but will get it in the long way. Thank you. Nikkie

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NO I said go to A mode and "manual ISO" mode. Some cameras have an 'auto ISO' mode.

So we would like you to set your camera to Aperture mode, and set it to the smallest aperture you can. Usually f22 (remember the larger the number the smaller the actual aperture). Now make sure your camera is in manual ISO mode (refer to your camera manual in need).
    So you need to be in A mode on the dial and manual ISO mode (usually through your LCD menu), the "manual ISO" mode stops your camera changing the ISO automatically if your camera has an 'Auto ISO' mode. Some camera's have it, some don't (check your manual).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will cheek my manual and try again if you don't mind me giving this another try thank you so very much

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will cheek my manual and try again if you don't mind me giving this another try thank you so very much
    of course you can, the NTP library and forum are about learning, how can you learn if you don't make mistakes and understand why, and have another go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I have tried again I have been trying to learn but it takes me a little longer to learn that is the way I am I guess. but anyway here are my results I hope I am starting to understand this a little better the larger the f number is the smaller the aperture is ? I used f 36 because I have it that small

ISO 100

1.jpg

ISO 3200

2.jpg

ISO Hi 1

3.jpg

ISO Hi 2

4.jpg

What I learned was that ISO 100 was slower shutter speed and the higher the ISO got the faster the shutter speed is I also found on f 36 the lower the ISO the less noise and more colour the higher the ISO there is more noise and less colour. Too me the ISO 100 slower shutter speed gave better results. I did Hi 1 and Hi 2 because my camera has but it seemed to be much faster with poor results in f 36. I am trying to learn like I said it just takes longer for thing written to sink in LoL love it here tho ever body is so nice and helpful

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSC_0023.jpg
    ISO 200 f/22

DSC_0024.jpg
    ISO 400 f/22

What I noticed is that the lower the ISO, the longer the shutter remained open for (causing the major camera shake). It actually stayed open a lot longer than I thought it would. The camera shake makes it quite hard to analyse in terms of colours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

Thought i'd the challenge a go.

f/25, ISO-100, Exposure time = 30sec.

First thing i noticed was the really slow shutter speed.

f/25, ISO-3200, Exposure time = 3.2sec.

After increasing the ISO the shutter speed became much quicker. Also, i kept the exact same lighting as the previous photo, but it looks as if the light switch was turn on in this photo. Very interesting to note, as it was my initial understanding that the quicker the shutter speed the less light would hit the sensor. I'm still not too cluey on the technical side of things, but i'm assuming this was due to the increased ISO making the sensor more sensitive to the light (wow i'm sure someone could probably explain that a bit better).

f/25, ISO-6400, Exposure time = 1.6sec.

To me this photo seemed the same in terms of lighting as the 2nd photo, but i did notice a lot of noise on the black of the headphones.

After going through this challenge i've learnt that increasing the ISO:
    - can help brighten up a photo when in low light conditions
    - can increase the shutter speed
    - creates noise in the dark colours of a photo

Thanks,
    Lucky

Canon 60D
    Canon 24-105mm L
    Sigma 10-20mm EX DC HSM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast