Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo53 View Post
    I've just ordered this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingjue-KH-6...E:L:OC:AU:3160 hasn't arrived yet but looks promising.
    Please let me know what you think of it when it arrives - it looks exactly what I should have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It arrived yesterday and I've had a little play around.

Looks very solid and all the connections are quite rigid. I'm quite happy with it and I have no concerns about mounting heavy camera gear on it.

Connects easily to the arca swiss head on my tripod

We're heading off for a weeks holiday in Gippsland so I hope to have a good play

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks very solid and all the connections are quite rigid. I'm quite happy with it and I have no concerns about mounting heavy camera gear on it.
    OK - mine has now arrived and am happy with the quality.

I now have a different issue to resolve - the bottom of the Nikon D90 has one screw hole to enable the camera to be attached to the L plate. This means the camera can rotate on the attaching screw. Apart from severe tightening of this one threaded screw, is there any other way to keep the camera stable - particularly in portrait orientation?

- - - Updated - - -

I now have a different issue to resolve - the bottom of the Nikon D90 has one screw hole to enable the camera to be attached to the L plate. This means the camera can rotate on the attaching screw. Apart from severe tightening of this one threaded screw, is there any other way to keep the camera stable - particularly in portrait orientation?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanKidd View Post

In this instance I wouldn't be happy with the 'overall' quality of the accessory.

But this isn't to say that the plate itself is to blame.

Sometimes what can be at fault is the screw used to tighten the plate to the camera base.
    if the screw is too long, then what can happen is that it's tightens right up into the threads in the camera's base, but the plate doesn't clamp tightly onto the camera's rubber base . so of course the camera is loose(while the screw is fully tight!).

Some options are:
    1. find another screw that you know will not 'bottom out' into the camera's threads with that base plate.
    2. possibly cut down some of the thread of the screw so it doesn't fully screw into the camera's threads.
    3. find a washer that will fit between the screw and plate(in effect makes the screw shorter, without the need to cut the threads, and possibly damage them(even tho they can be tapped to work properly again.
    4. find a material strong enough to fit between camera and plate, although this is the least likely to result in a fully tightened camera/plate connection.

I've had this issue myself too, and the sole cause was simply the screws that came with the plates were just millimeters too long(even one mil, can do it!).

I used the washer method to get me by until the shorter screws I ordered came along.

The comment about anti twist plates is actually incorrect. A properly designed plate doesn't need these anti twist plate designs, and I've personally ground flat two of my (expensive!) plates so designed, so that they now fit on any camera I own. They don't twist on any of the cameras I own, even the lil cheapy P&S my daughter owns.

A good plate will fit properly as long as the design is properly thought out.

And if you think that those plates with rubberised bases are a good idea .. think again. While they initially work well, eventually they all suffer the same fate. Rubber becomes compressed to the point where it no longer works as it should.
    Manfrotto plates spring immediately to my mind on this topic, and how many rubber pads I've replaced over the years drives me mad with the thought that all that money spent would have been better spent on a 'proper plate'!! to begin with.

Allan, if you have any way to measure the thread length of the screw with it fitted to the plate(so that the measurement is taken from the plate to the tip of the thread, I can try to help with info on whether it's too long for that application.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N