Thread: Abusing the 70-200 VRII - Some thoughts and queries

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abusing the 70-200 VRII - Some thoughts and queries

Well, I've been thinking about lenses for some time to address some issues i've had with my telephoto in some of the darker places (Churches, and a few other locales). Long story short the 70-300VR isn't cutting it for jobs and I think I need to face the inevitable.
    I want a Nikon 70-200 VRII.

The one thing however that I will miss is the focal length available, on my crop factor its been very useful for doing some stealthy stuff, getting that extra yardage in lightning composition, framing that tornado, and is a good performer in nice light. So I got thinking...how can I abuse the potential new lens and wanted to ask those who own it, who uses it with the TC-20EIII, TC-14EIII to ask what the performance is like?

Realistically on a crop sensor (my second camera, which is deployed when I'm being greedy about focal length) we are talking a 600 F5.6 (if my maths works), I believe it works as: 70-200 x 2 (loosing two stops from 2.8) = 140-400...multiply by crop factor to get effective 210-600 F5.6? Naturally with focal breathing (which this lens is known for) I know I won't get that at sub infinity, but I'm thinking here of the poor mans way to get that long focal length for some ideas and applications I have in mind. Compare this with the 70-300, an F4-5.6 notionally I loose nothing on the aperture, AF-S is probably a mite slower, and probably loose a bit in resolution/IQ.

Note that this focal length foolery isn't the prime reason for wanting the lens, its more to compensate so I give up my 70-300VR and not feel like I am loosing anything because of it. The majority of use where this lens is important will be on the D700/FX anyway, hence why I would prefer the VRII despite the cost difference. How do people find the image compression using the VRII?

Note: It is unlikely to sway me from buying the lens, more just thinking about the little accessories to go with it.
    Last edited by Xebadir; 20-09-2011 at 12:40pm.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com