Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
I actually agree.

It is a good lens - excellent but, it does distort at or near 24mm (take an ocean shot at 24 with it then, note the horizon - not bad but, noticeable).

If you are going around to take pictures of people or things in the middle distance, it is great.

It is near - useless for parties or street scenes - where you will almost certainly need <24 mm on a crop camera.

If, by walk around, you mean to walk around taking pictures of buildings you are standing in front of, close ups of people with scenary in the background or parties etc... A 10-20 is far more useful.
Sorry, but must disagree !

People reconmend the 24-105, because they actually use it as a walk around lens!!!!

It is a great walk around lens, if I was going out for a walk to randomly take photos, it was the lens of choice, although not the widest lens, it makes up for it with the reach and image quality.

I say that in the past tense, as the IS has failed, and while waiting to get it fixed, I am limited to 17-55 F2.8 .....really missing the reach the 105 gave me, 55 is not LONG enough for a "walk around" lens.

Cheers Dave