Hey All,

I have been putting more effort into using my tripod of late and am running into the unfortunate problem of being 'stuck' in landscape mode.

I was considering getting the majorly expensive 'optional' tripod collar for my 70-200mm F/4L IS but just can't bring myself to do it when it doesn't help for any other lenses. Naturally a bit more research has lead me to look at L-Brackets.

For reference the tripod I have is a Manfrotto knock-off but it does the job pretty well. The only annoying thing is that I got a 3-way head so would like down the track to get the 322RC2.

For L-Brackets the consensus seems to be for the Really Right Stuff (RRS) models. So I had a few queries:

1. When on the tripod I pretty much always use a remote trigger, which is the Phottix one. Will this get caught when changing orientation?

2. I don't have a battery grip. Will I regret buying an L-Bracket that only fits the 50D without the grip, or would I be better served saving to afford both? (My thought is that if I use a remote trigger then it shouldn't matter too much).

3. How easy is it to change orientation with the bracket installed (i.e. can it be done 'on the fly'?)

4. Is there any other method of changing orientations I should consider?

Thanks,

Kieren