Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
Agreed. The 7D manual asks [from memory] that is is better to do the adj in the field which we could conclude is their way of explaining for temp changes.

I had to add about 5points to my 400mm to get it pin sharp on an aperture of f/5.6 at a range of 10m. I'll be checking it again as the temp warms up. Ideally I'd suggest checking your lenses out in the field on an average temp day, say 25'C as a standard.
I have added "micro-adjust" to the "My menu" customised menu, so that I can quickly access the screen whilst out in the field You can test focus accuracy at any time by just comparing the live view focus to normal AF (ie acquire focus in live view using contrast method, then switch of live view, then focus by pressing shutter half way and watch if the focus ring moves at all). I suspect I'll fidget with the settings for a while, arrive at a balance that seems to work most of the time in most conditions, and then leave it alone!

Quote Originally Posted by B D H View Post
Hi
Does this feature allow indivduals settings per lens ? i.e. is there a micro focus preset memory
the reason I ask is, with my 40 D & 100-400L IS, like Riverlander has said I've long suspected things are not quite right

I took it to Canon at Nth Ryde & they told me they could adjust it (40D) but it could mean that other lenses I use may be then less than perfect, that & the 2 week+ turnaround turned me off the idea but now I'm not so sure - could be time for a 7D

Cheers
Yes, you can adjust individual lenses. The body recognises each lens when you put it on (even non Canon lenses) and remembers the adjustment setting. Even if you chose to disable the adjustments, the Camera remembers them, so you can quickly flip between adjusted and no adjustment.

I think when it comes to sending you camera in to Canon for calibration, they recommend sending all your lenses and body, so they can all be calibrated together.

Just buy a 7D, you won't regret it