Greetings all,

I have the opportunity to shoot at a outdoor dance display this weekend and my lense choices are Nikon 18-200 vr, 50mm f1.5, 35mm f1.8. The display starts around 4pm and goes to 9 so most of it this time of year will be under stadium flood lighting (Its ANZ stadium in Brisbane) I have access to the main arena where they will be performing and can walk freely around amongst them (its not that formal). Ideally I would like to hire a 80-200 f2.8 so I could get out of the way but that may not happen.

So my question is, will the 35mm f1.8 be ok for what I want under the lighting conditions. I know the f1.8 will give me enough ambient light but I wll also be using an sb600 with diffuser to throw some light but I may need to set my shutter speed to 4-500 to capture movement (lots of arm and leg action as it is dance after all). I am using a Nikon D80 so can use the AP feature to still use flash and a decent shutter speed. I doubt I could get away without using a flash and a high shutter speed. I dont thing f1.8 would be enough.

So many questions....any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian