Just wondering if any people here use manual focus when shooting landscapes & how they go about focusing. Pretty much all my landscape shots are taken with my zeiss which doesn't have af. When starting out I just set it to infinity focus which seemed to work ok & still do it for all my shots. I used to mainly use f/8 except when wanting blurred water but now I work mainly using f/13. Zooming into the images in Lightroom they mostly seem sharp throughout & a few I've had printed on canvas look great, with some having a large dof. Everything I've read about manual focusing for landscapes is to focus roughly a third of the way into the images/hyperfocal distance etc & don't just set to infinity. I love how easy it is to not have to worry about focusing & the results I'm getting I'm happy with. But if I can get sharper images it's worth trying out, I tried it out just in the front yard but to me the shots set at infinity were clearly much sharper throughout the frame. On my next trip I'll try it out in the field to really put it to the test.
The lens is Zeiss milvus 21mm & camera body is Canon 5DSR 50mp. Could it be this lens being a wide angle prime & manual focus only lens that it just takes sharp images at infinity compared to a lot of other lenses? I don't have another wide angle lens or any experience with one to compare. Am I missing something?