I am going to Sri Lanka for a couple of weeks shortly. I'm trying to figure out how to manage phones and Internet.

I have a Telstra pre-paid mobile. (Android.) In Australia, I tether my laptop to it for Internet access on the PC.

• PLAN A: Telstra would like me to buy very expensive data packs and use their account. I don't plan to do this for Sri Lanka - too expensive and I hate being ripped off. They give you a ridiculously small data allowance. Scratch Plan A. (Probably.)
  • PLAN B: Don't bother with the phone and just rely on wi-fi at at least some of the places I stay. I don't much like the notion of doing financial transactions on unsecured wi-fi networks - I'm retired but the old IT man inside my head hates the idea. (I may not need to do any secure transactions while I am away, but I want the ability to do so. In particular, I like to keep one eye on my investments. Ten minutes once a day is all it takes.)
  • PLAN C: I can buy a tourist's SIM at the Airport, and swap that into my phone for a couple of weeks. This is quite cheap and would work well - BUT I could not use the phone to get messages and I won't know what the number is in advance, so I can't give it (e.g.) to my bank. Better if I am contactable on my normal number for family emergencies (unlikely) and (more likely) to get confirmation SMS messages from bank and stockbroker if I need to (e.g.) withdraw money or sell some shares.
  • PLAN D: Take my tablet (the extra weight is unimportant) and put the tourist's SIM in it. Tether the laptop to the tablet for Internet. Keep the phone on the existing Telstra SIM, just for SMS and (if needed) calls from Australia. Can I use a tablet for phone calls in case of need? (Dumb question, I know.) This would make me contactable on my normal number - mainly I'm thinking SMS, but also give me cheap local Internet via tethering the laptop, or just using the tablet.
  • PLAN E Same as (D), but swap the SIM cards around such that the tablet has the Telstra SIM. (I also have a horrid little second Android phone I could take instead of the tablet.)

If I do Plan D or E, is there a way to roam only for SMS (and just possibly an incoming voice call), with no Internet access and no stupid Android updates killing my data allowance?

I welcome any experience and advice members may have. Thanks in advance.