Quote Originally Posted by rexboggs5 View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your comprehensive and knowledgeable replies. I think I'll go with the 15" MacBook Pro and spec it up so it handles LR and PS with ease.

Must/Should/Can I calibrate the monitor with a Spyder or similar?
Even the base model will handle PS and LR with ease. The base model has a quad core and 16GB of ram so performance will be phenomenal. The top of the range model has a separate GPU which increases graphics performance substantially but it's not a must have so I would only get it if budgets allow.

The other heads up is that Mac OS takes a couple of weeks to get used to. It's as easy as Windows, if not easier, but you do things a little differently. For example, if you wanted to open 5 photoshop files, you could just drag them to the application on your task bar as opposed to right clicking and selecting open. Once you get used to it, it's very easy. If you have any questions when you get it, feel free to shoot me a message here and I'll help you out. I can also send you a list of apps to download that are free or cheap. In some cases, they are simple ways of replicating the way you may be used to working, in other cases, they are handy apps to have.

On the issue of purchases, have a look around and wait for a 10% off sale. Alternatively, if you have an ABN, you should be able to get 10% off by putting it through your business at an Apple store. If you want to buy it from an Apple store and JB Hifi or Dick Smith have a special, Apple will price match any advertised price.

On the storage front, Samsung do a great external solid state if you want a small SSD to carry around and back up photos or store extra photos. Alternatively, you can guy a cheap 1/2TB external 2.5" drive and Mac includes software called "Time Machine" which will do automatic backups for you every time you connect it.