User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Help with study,understanding tech issues,help with starting out with new camera etc etc etc....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Help with study,understanding tech issues,help with starting out with new camera etc etc etc....

Hi all,

right sit back with a cuppa & get your helpful thinking caps on PLEASE....now where to start???

A wee bit of background info, I have a canon 7D with only lens at the moment (15mm-85mm) which I've had for less than 12 months & before that a film camera & a little canon point & shoot so a HUGE learning curve. Also I have recently started studying * removed. members with less than 50 posts cannot discuss commercial companies* ( I know a lot of you just groaned thinking why'd she bother but it is because I live in a remote area with two toddlers at home with a busy husband so getting away from house minus kids is next to impossible!so this was my only option).
    I take a lot of shots of the kids (obviously), friends & family, my husband plays rugby, we water ski, we have cattle property's, mates weddings etc.

Anyway there are a few issues that I need to make sure I am on the right side of the track for! so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1) the conversion of lens focal lengths from a full frame sensor to the APS (my cameras rate is 1.6) have I gone the right way?

ffs aps
    20mm - 32mm
    24mm - 38mm
    35mm - 56mm
    50mm - 80mm
    80mm - 128mm
    100mm - 160mm
    135mm - 218mm
    200mm - 320mm
    300mm - 480mm
    400mm - 640mm

2) what things do you think are essential to get asap? filters, speedlite, extra battery, extra card, tripod etc?

3) what settings would you use when photographing a rugby game late arvo (usually kick off is 4pm), I usually stand on the side line with the sun behind/to the left of me? they have two lots of lights at each end of the field... I know TV but what minimum shutter speed & ISO?

4) I am thinking of getting a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens, will it be a good all rounder for my 7D? then also if I one day ever upgrade to a full sensor body? next part would you buy a second hand one or one off eBay??? alternately what safe website do you buy your camera equipment off? (Australian or overseas???)

5) can you recommend any good books that point out what lens & extra equipment is best to use in certain situations, i.e. taking shots of models or weddings or footy matches etc

I think that's all for now, hope everyone has a good weekend & thanks in advance for your help...more questions to come no doubt.

Cheers BeckyJohno
    Last edited by ricktas; 04-06-2011 at 5:05pm.