If you guys think we are being ripped off by the local camera and lens importers, check out what many cars cost overseas, then compare those prices in Oz.

A big problem we have over here is the cost of the overheads here in Oz.
It costs about the same to rent a warehouse in Sydney or in the US, with the US probably being a bit cheaper, and the minimum, legal, wage rate in the USA is only $7.50 per hour (as against $19 or so here), and seeing that their population is 15 times ours - and so their sales, our poor importers have the same if not more overheads ot contend with, yet our sales are very small in comparison to most other countries.
Sure, Hong Kong only has a relatively small population compared to ours, but they sell almost as many cameras over there as they do in the US. Hence their cheap prices.
I can't say this for sure, but I would imagine that as our camera importers buy in much smaller quantities than the US or Europe for example, then they will be paying a higher price from the manufacturers overseas too - which only compounds the problem.

Many politicians, from both sides of the equation, will tell you that if an industry is inefficient, it should die, and if the imports are eating away at the local stuff either the importers will die or they wil reduce their prices to compete.

Be thankful that we can import our stuff from sellers overseas, as people buying cars don't have that luxury, because if you try and import a new, or near new car, and it doesn't have an Australian compliance plate on it, you'll never get it registered. I'm so glad that doesn't apply to cameras!