Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Monopod for bird photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monopod for bird photography

Hi all

I'm currently looking at getting myself a monopod I can take along with me on my birding outings, to assist in limiting the affects of camera shake (particularly in low light situations). I've recently purchased an Olympus E620 and 70-300mm lens.

What kind of monopod and head would you recommend?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piXelatedEmpire View Post
    Hi all

I'm currently looking at getting myself a monopod I can take along with me on my birding outings, to assist in limiting the affects of camera shake (particularly in low light situations). I've recently purchased an Olympus E620 and 70-300mm lens.

What kind of monopod and head would you recommend?
    Wow! 63 views to date and no replies ... pretty disappointing.

Monopods do have their uses but from a lot of reading and not much experience, I'd be considering a tripod over a mono on any days outing. Most birders, probably all, use tripods over a mono. Tripods are very stable and reduce camera shake considerably. Monopods leave the camera to move about quite a lot really.

I might consider a mono if I was hiking for more than a day to reduce overall weight however.

If at all, I've be thinking about a mono that is the lightest that you can afford.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a tripod 90% of the time for birding,but also have a monopod that I also use,see my sig for details.Whatever you choose,don`t scrimp on it,get the best you can afford,don`t put an expensive kit on a cheap stand.
    Kev.
    C+C and Edits Welcome,just tell me what you did.
    Canon 50D,EF-S17-85mm,EF100mm F2.8 Macro,MT-24EX Flash.
    Sigma 150-500mm f5.6-6.3 DG.
    Photoshop Elements 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Giottos MM9550 monopod which works well for me.
    Cost about $60 through Discount Digital Photographics.

I consider it useful in some circumstances, and it is certainly lighter to carry than a tripod.
    However, I would not consider it a replacement for a sturdy tripod, but a useful addition to my gear.

If you can only afford one, go for the tripod first as it will be useful in more circumstances.
    However a monopod is better than hand held if that is your only option.
    Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tripod is better, but I do have a mono as well..
    I find it useful to have a ball-head on my monopod to give an angle to the mounted camera. I can stand with my legs apart and the leg of the mono out in front of me and still have the camera level etc. Gives a bit more stability.
    Graham

Canon- EOS 7D with BG-E7 grip, 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105L f/4; Speedlites 580EX II, 550EX, 430EX.
    Sigma- 18-50 f/2.8, 50-150 f/2.8, 120-300 f/2.8, 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS, 30 f/1.4, 150 f/2.8 macro, Sigma APO 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters;
    Kenko Extension tubes; Benro- M-257 tripod & B-1 ballhead; Wimberley- Sidekick.
    Home made "bag" on wheels; heaps and heaps of other minor stuff!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback all.

The Oly E620 has onboard IS, so that helps, but I was looking for something portable to assist further, hence a monopod.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely use a monopod, but yesterday used mine for a sports shoot (300/2.8L IS mounted on it).

My monopod is a Manfrotto 680B. great monopod.

I didn't use a head in this instance, but the Manfrotto 688RC2 is a great ball-head. I have one, but it was recently rendered inoperable by the ocean.