Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wattsgallery View Post
    What would be great is to hear what set up people who have a FF camera have, the rationale and if they are happy with it.
    I've shot with full-frame DSLRs since 2006.

My lens lineup (unchanged since mid-2008) is as follows:

1. 16-35/2.8L II
    2. 70-200/2.8L IS USM
    3. 35/1.4L
    4. 85/1.2L II
    5. 135/2L
    6. 180/3.5L Macro
    7. 300/2.8L IS USM

I use my 16-35 almost exclusively for seascapes, of which I shoot a lot. It mostly stays at 16mm, as I like the wide view. It is currently my most used lens.

My 35, 85 and 135 get used for portraits, but I also use my 135 for still-life, as it has basically the same 3' minimum focus distance as the 85, but provides a tighter crop. I also use my fast primes for shooting bands -- a very fast low-light rig. It's been a while since I did a gig shoot, though. The 35 is also a good, general-purpose indoor lens. If I had to go out and shoot street-based photography with two primes only, the 35 and 85 would be the two I'd take.

My 70-200 is a general-purpose tele which gets used for events, bands, portraits and miscellany.

Macro lens = self-explanatory. The longer focal length allows a greater working distance, and this lens also has a tripod collar, which is more convenient, as only the camera needs to rotate rather than the tripod head moving.

As for the big 300, I use that for aviation, wildlife and the odd portrait. It's a stunner of a lens. I have both the 1.4x TC and 2x TC, and use those for the same subject material.

I love all of my lenses; they don't leave me wanting in any way.

My macro lens is the most difficult to use, not for any lack on its part, though; I'm just not a good macro photographer, and the depth of field with that lens is very shallow, even when stopped down.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 23-05-2010 at 10:02pm.