Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: The shortfalls of digital media as a product:::

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would counter argue that a film negative or a print will be harder to keep and maintain

even though having an actual product would def give me more thrills and joy, the knowledge that you cant really emulate a negative or an original printed photo without resorting to scanning can be quite scary

whereas a digital format can be stored in a variety of places and not just at home

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I would counter argue that a film negative or a print will be harder to keep and maintain
    Not in my experience.

even though having an actual product would def give me more thrills and joy, the knowledge that you cant really emulate a negative or an original printed photo without resorting to scanning can be quite scary
    Why is there any need to emulate something that is already a finished work?

whereas a digital format can be stored in a variety of places and not just at home
    Can you guarantee the digital formats we use today will be readily usable in 100 years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Not in my experience.

Why is there any need to emulate something that is already a finished work?

Can you guarantee the digital formats we use today will be readily usable in 100 years?
    well seeing as you only have 1 COPY of that print, or negative, whereas a digital file can be archived in many places. Sure you can photograph that print, and print it again, but it wont be an original anymore no? I am more so referring to the security issues, such as possessing only 1 negative in the world, for example.

I cannot guarantee u that, but I can guarantee that there will be backwards compatibility to open/use older or obsolete files and formats.