Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: FREE to use Model releases etc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be a sillt question..but i was just wondering, is a "Model Release" the only paperwork/contract you need to get your clients to sign? Or is there something else i haven't thought of?

Thank you
    Nicole
    Canon 50d
    Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8L, 580EX II Speedlight

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
    This may be a sillt question..but i was just wondering, is a "Model Release" the only paperwork/contract you need to get your clients to sign? Or is there something else i haven't thought of?

Thank you
    Nicole
    I think this is a different matter. A "model release" is the contract with a person that agrees to pose for you - and usually gets paid to do so ("the consideration"). The release makes sure you have the right to publish the photo's taken for commercial purposes.

If you have "clients" posing for you it is usually the client paying you for the privilege. Implied in the contractual relation with the client is their right to have prints of the photo's you take - that is what they are paying for. Also implied is the right that you can hang onto the originals (usually the RAW files) and do not need to hand them over to the client. Another matter is whether you can use the shots for promotional or other purposes. If you want to use them that way you'll have to ask the client for his/hers consent and preferably have him sign something similar as the model release - albeit without the "consideration" clause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vk2gwk View Post
    I think this is a different matter. A "model release" is the contract with a person that agrees to pose for you - and usually gets paid to do so ("the consideration"). The release makes sure you have the right to publish the photo's taken for commercial purposes.

If you have "clients" posing for you it is usually the client paying you for the privilege. Implied in the contractual relation with the client is their right to have prints of the photo's you take - that is what they are paying for. Also implied is the right that you can hang onto the originals (usually the RAW files) and do not need to hand them over to the client. Another matter is whether you can use the shots for promotional or other purposes. If you want to use them that way you'll have to ask the client for his/hers consent and preferably have him sign something similar as the model release - albeit without the "consideration" clause.
    I think vk has put it perfectly - the release form should be for those people who you have shot that you are planning on selling or using commercially (ie portfolio) whereas people who have paid you to shoot them probably need another document if you wish to use the images for your website or portfolio.