I generally start to look into upgrades every second 'cycle' ... or thereabouts

Nikons' philosophy on the whole is similar to Canons' there.
A notable change on Nikon bodies in the upper end was the omission of the AE-L button recently. D4 I think did it. now the D850 did too. Af-On stayed put.
But the word was that they did consult the pros about it. The common consensus on the Nikon specific fora I visit agree that the deletion of the AE-L button isn't missed.

One thing that caused me a gripe with my update from D300 to D800E(two generation of separation) was that Nikon changed the metering/exposure control indicators(through the viewfinder and the control via the dial) default working.

D70s had it set with no option to change. +ve to the left -ve to the right. That's what I got used too after two years.
D300 had the option to change this operation tho. that is -ve to the left, -ve to the right.
I thought nothing of it, but did note it as a menu option .. thinking it was a strange one.
----------> 5 years later I now have the D800E.
a gripe started to creep in. I'm dialling in -ve compensation and shutter speed to the right .. but it's getting brighter and slower. At first I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong .. do it again.

Do it the other way .. yay! .. what I want .. but why?? it's backwards(for me).
The way I was taught by Nikon of old(and recent) was right .. err left .. ummm I dunno now!
Not remembering that menu option in the D300, I ask the question on a Nikon forum.
They give me the details .. I feel stupid .. gripe turns into a heated facial situation for me .. embarrassment(not anger!!)

Weird that they did this change to default operation.
I can only assume that this was a result of many Canon owners complaining when they switched to Nikon!

Sometimes tho the change that you first feel is awkward, ends up being better than you first thought.
Nikon also changed the really easy to manoeuvre AF mode switch on the higher end bodies. It fell nicely to thumb on the D300. The switched to a two finger operation that at first felt silly, as you had to look at the camera to see which button was needed to press and you changed the mode with the rear(command) dial.
But in use, it's far more brilliant than before(ie. D300) with the D300 you had to remember that you were in one mode as you flicked the switch.
With the D800 type(and other cameras too) you press a button at the corner of the body where your hand always rested anyhow near the base of the lens and rotate the dial, and the info is there to see in the vf.

Going back to the D300 and making this change almost feels like a let down now .. just a thing to remember if changing this setting on older gear.