Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
My advice. Learn to slow down. With digital you can spray-and-pray, taking a heap of photos to get those few keepers. Do that with film and watch the developing/printing costs go up faster than a brides nightie.
My problem with film, when it was the only choice and I was a student, was that the shutter sounded like a cash register. Now I've returned to film, I have to keep in mind that it is an indulgence that is more expensive, but I'm doing it anyway. So yes I slow down and be more thoughtful, but you can take that too far. The "film sweats" is when you can't actually hit the button for fear of wasting something. I have to fight that, and be willing to fail, to get anything. What helps is doing the things that will reduce the cost. Buying film as cheaply as possible. Developing yourself. BTW developing yourself used to be a choice, but now it is becoming the only way, and once you have made the investment in the set-up, it motivates you to shoot more to justify it. B&W was easy to get going. C-41 colour took a long time, but ultimately successful and rewarding. The hard part was sourcing chemicals.

Untitled (7) by Andrew Rock, on Flickr