PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone, Newbie here from Big Sky Country NSW

KFT
16-02-2012, 9:50pm
G'day Everyone,
My Name is Frank and I am currently in the process of transitioning to retirement(not getting my pay every fortnight is the scary bit). I have been a keen photographer for quite a long time and even dabbled in semi pro work doing weddings and other functions so I could buy more gear in order to do a better job for my customers.

Then of course alng came a transfer to a small town and a romance that lead to a wedding and I think lots of you will know what happened after that!!!

To cut a longish story into a digestable bit I am now looking to go digital ad relegate my 35mm gear to the shelf in the office. I have tried researching various bits of gear via the net and find the glut of information quite overwhelming.

I am hopeful the emebers of this esteemed forum may be motivated to assist me make this step to the world of DSLR.

cheers for now

frank

ricktas
16-02-2012, 9:54pm
Welcome to AP Frank, pull up a chair, join in, post some photos. You will find we are a friendly bunch.

KFT
16-02-2012, 9:57pm
G'day Rick,
thanks mate, I will as soon as I have a look around and get a feel for the forum and how you do things here. then I will need to go find some stuff worth posting.

Kym
16-02-2012, 10:05pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Mary Anne
16-02-2012, 10:27pm
Hello Frank and Welcome to AP.. There will be plenty of help on the Forum when you are ready.

Wayne63
17-02-2012, 6:32am
Welcome to AP Frank, enjoy the site and see you in the forums soon

LJG
17-02-2012, 6:51am
Hello Frank, welcome to AP! Big Sky Country tells me you are from the Tamworth New England area possibly? That area is one of my favourites! I didn't like what you said about the pay scenario though haha. Being so close to retirement that is also one of my biggest worries. As far as asking forum members help to decide on a new digital SLR setup you are going to get many responses and suggestions from both camps. My family has both Canon and Nikon, so we are AC/DC haha. The best thing is to sit down and ask yourself what you want to photograph. If you want to get into weddings and functions like you have done in the past your gear may well be completely diffrent than it would be if you wanted to go and chase birds for example. Weddings would be a great way to earn a little money on the side to help pay for gear as well. My only advice is to research what you want very well. If you can go to a shop and try it, handle it etc. Asking questions on a forum is probably better than asking a salesman because once you sort the wheat from the chaff you will get honest appraisals, rather than just a sales speil. Anoth there is some beautiful countryer good way is to keep your eye out for forum meet ups. If you go along to one people there are usually only too happy to give you advice and let you play with their gear. Also is there a local camera club in your area? This is another great outlet for getting real world advice and help, just beware of gear snobbery. Good luck with it and we hope you will soon be posting some of your work for us to critique and view. And above all enjoy your retirement mate!

**Edit**, I just noticed you are from Quirindi, nice! There is some beautiful country out there!

selaw
18-02-2012, 9:52am
Welcome to AP Frank. Looking forward to seeing some of those Big Sky photos soon :)

Mark L
20-02-2012, 9:39pm
Hope you enjoy AP frank.
My "35mm gear' was Canon, so went DSLR with them so I could use my older lens and spent more on the body. Umm, now I want more up to date lens. :confused013
Good luck with your choice. They're all pretty good really. Try and go and feel a few models in your hands, it made a difference in my choice.

rwg717
21-02-2012, 8:09pm
Cheers Frank and welcome to AP:D
Richard