PDA

View Full Version : projector screens

macmich
10-02-2012, 10:48am
hi all
has any one on here used 1 of the old pull down projector screens that pull out and retract again when not in use
the local op shop has 1 for $7 and in good nick
i thought it would make a good portrait backdrop
and if you wanted you could do any scene you wanted or colour and just repaint to suit the occasion
they would not ne long enough for full body shots
cheers macca

Bennymiata
10-02-2012, 11:14am
My father had a few of them and used them for slide shows (real 35mm slides) and the old 8mm movie films when I was a kid, and that was a long time ago.
I borrowed one from him a couple of years ago to use as a backdrop, but it was covered in yellow mould.

I thnk they would make a good white background if the fabric is nice and clean.

KLi
10-02-2012, 12:43pm
Would they be more reflective than usual seamless paper? I am not sure how that might affect the image, maybe introduce more flare or hotspot? But at $7 what could go wrong lol go for it and let us know how it goes! Could be a good solution for portable seamless.

Bennymiata
10-02-2012, 5:17pm
There were basically 2 types of these.
The cheaper ones were just a H/D white fabric, and the better ones were encrusted with tiny glass beads.
The glass bead type gave a brighter and better picture when used to show slides etc.

macmich
10-02-2012, 5:21pm
i will see if a mate will go and pick it up for me on monday and check it out
cheers macca

Tom J McDonald
10-02-2012, 5:31pm
They are OK, but some have a glare reducing texture which you may or may not like.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68285466@N02/6491592003/
I took this picture which I believe has on of the screens as a backdrop (either that or butcher's paper).
Tom.

macmich
11-02-2012, 9:21am
thanks tom
when i can i will give it a go
with the new paints out now and the way the take moveent
they will probably roll up without cracking
macca

jjphoto
11-02-2012, 10:35am
I read a 'tip' many years ago that I've never tried but thought was fascinating (yeah, I'm sure I'm the only one), using a projection screen as a background for product shots where you want that floating over white look. The glass beads in a quality screen will reflect back more light than a normal white backdrop (but not more than a product table lit from below, which is what I use) so will blow the white background out and reduce the post processing needed. I'll try it one day. Seems plausible.

JJ