PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

enotoarts
07-02-2012, 2:14pm
Hi!

I just discovered this website and am happy I did. I have been an "Amateur/hobbiest" photographer for around 8 years now and I am keen on starting my own "garage/At home" photography business. Would love any advice on what you need to do business wise to start up a business like that in QLD. Ie do I need to get insurances of any kind or council approval ect. I have never done anything like that before so any advice will be useful.

Thanks!:)

ricktas
07-02-2012, 3:39pm
Welcome to AP.

Business- Do a small business course. Go to the tax office, they run free GST/Tax worskshops. Talk to your local council about usage of your garage, etc.

As for insurance, yes you will, cause if someone falls over your light stand and injures themselves..guess who has to pay. The best thing you can do is get some business training under your belt. Small business course, taxation course. MYOB course etc..before you even think about it. Also you need to be able to take damn good photos..all the time, and have great editing skills

Hope we get to see some of your photos soon

Speedway
07-02-2012, 5:23pm
Welcome aboard and what Rick said.
Keith.

Kym
07-02-2012, 7:12pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Books:New_To_Photography_Book) book and the Learning Plan in the book.

rwg717
07-02-2012, 10:50pm
Hello and welcome to AP:)
Richard

Pania
08-02-2012, 2:14pm
Check out smartlicence on the State Development website to work out what licences etc you need for your business, just answer a few questions and they tell you what you need to get. Good luck with your business!

geoffsta
08-02-2012, 4:05pm
Welcome enotoarts. It's a big jump from Amateur/hobbiest to pro. Consider the advice above seriously. There have been many in your shoes that have belly up due to a lake of foresight and preperation. With the digital age it is certainly easier to get into pro photography. But you have been a hobbiest for around 8 years, and obviously enjoying it. Do you really want all the hassles that come from being a pro to take the fun out of it.

There has been many come on this site with the same ideals as you. (Turning pro) Many don't get past 2-3 posts before they lose interest. Or they realize just how much goes into it.
Apart from the above layout in courses and insurances, you'll also need multiple camera bodies, loads of batteries, quite an array of lenses, studio gear, props. The list goes on and on.

It would be also nice to see some of your photo's in the critique section of the site. This site is fantastic and extremely helpful, provided you give as much as you get.