PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing an intervelomoter for time lapse photos/video

ice
30-01-2012, 4:16pm
Hey Guys - just thought id get some advice on what brand intervelometers you guys have used before or use now.. i want to try some time lapses with my Canon 550D and obviously need to buy an intervelometer to organise the shots.. another question as well- i have a big enough SD card, but what about the battery? Will it survive for 9 hours if I'm taking a shot per minute?

Thanks in advance guys

Imogen

ScottM
30-01-2012, 4:33pm
Hi Imogen,

I bought one of these but for a Nikon quite a while ago:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vivitar-Wired-Remote-Shutter-Release-Canon-Pentax-Samsung-DSLR-Cameras-/130591996822?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item1e67e3bb96

Works well, you can configure the number of shots, the length of each, and an interval between. The main disadvantage (with the one I got anyway) is that it doesn't have a power switch so I need to pull the 2xAAA batteries. You can use them also as a basic wired shutter release.

Not sure abotu the battery but I suspect not. 540 photos is quite a few, and depending on the environment, the battery might give below capacity if it's a cool night.

junqbox
30-01-2012, 5:53pm
You may want to set up and let it run at home before the actual shoot, so you can get a handle on long the battery will last. Then you'll have to set your alarm to go and change the battery at some godless hour. ;-) After allowing for temperature impacts on the battery drain.
I use the Nikon dedicated timer, have also used the Nikon tethering software, but might not be suitable for your needs.

Speedway
30-01-2012, 6:00pm
I have heard good reports on these (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Meike-LCD-Timer-BATTERY-GRIP-CANON-EOS-550D-Rebel-T2i-BG-E8-B4K-/330676619334?pt=US_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item4cfddcc846) and intend getting one for my 7D. I have had their std one on my 400D for nearly 5 years with no issues.
Keith.

ScottM
30-01-2012, 8:20pm
Interesting Keith. I didn't know you could get them like that. Given it holds two batteries, it'd probably solve the power problem over 9 hours too. Thanks!

srowlandson
03-02-2012, 3:35pm
I use my dell mini running the eos software. It can be setup to do an interval shoot, can transfer the images as shot, and plugged in to 240v, can last a full night shooting / day shooting etc. Another option if you have a laptop and don't do it often.

Wayne
03-02-2012, 3:52pm
I use the MC-36 from Nikon, but not much good to you.

Speedway
04-02-2012, 12:50pm
I have just ordered the LCD Timer Battery Grip for my 7D from the above link.
Keith.

phild
04-02-2012, 3:11pm
I use a chinese clone branded Aputure, available on ebay, I've only heard of one failure they're usually fairly reliable (the original battery supplied with the units should be tossed in the bin immediately though).

A lot of the members on the Iceinspace forum use that model or equivalent for astrophotography.

If you have an iphone and are happy to tether your camera to a laptop you can get an app called dslr remote. The fuctions of DSLR remote are excellent, the intervalometer however is limited in that exposure times (as distinct from interval) are maximum of 30 seconds. I doubt the camera battery would last much more than a few hours at one image per minute, you can an AC adapter for your model (ACK-E8), there are also clones available on ebay if you're willing to risk powering your camera with one, personally I'd opt for the genuine Canon item. It may also be possible to mod the adapter to run from 12V, but you'll need someone with appropriate technical knowledge to do that.

Speedway
04-02-2012, 3:42pm
(the original battery supplied with the units should be tossed in the bin immediately though).

WHY I have been using after rmarket batteries for over 5 years and never had any issues. In fact it's one of the genuine batteries that is showing signs of slowly dieing with a noticeable reduction of shots to a full charge.
Keith.

Arg
05-02-2012, 12:41pm
I have just ordered the LCD Timer Battery Grip for my 7D from the above link.
Keith.

I would like to know how you like this on your 7D please. cheers

I @ M
05-02-2012, 1:22pm

I'm curious to know what the MC-36 does that a well built cheap non OEM shutter release and the built in intervalometer doesn't. :confused013

GoldZilla
13-02-2012, 4:14am
I'm also keen to hear how that intervalometer/battery grip combo works too.

Doesn't look like they make one for the 60D, though. Might have to follow this up.

macmich
13-02-2012, 9:28am
i have used the meike timer grip on the 50d and 7d
and the grip looks and feels good
the timer works well but the paint wears off pretty quick
so get familar with the workings and buttons before it happens
i only really use it for vertical shooting and have not had a problem
cheers macca
rephase that the paint wears off the timer arrows etc
not the grip
the grip is rubber

arthurking83
13-02-2012, 9:40pm

I also wasted my money on an MC-36 when I purchased my D300.

Didn't realise that Nikon had built in intervalometers in the high end cameras since the D200!

I have used it once or twice as the intervalometer in the camera is not as detailed as it is in the MC-36, but the major issue with the MC-36is the lack of an on-off switch!!
Batteries drain unless you leave them out and only install them for actual use.
Crikey!.... Nikon can produce some of the most idiotic features in some of their products.
AFAIK, most aftermarket controllers have provisions for on off conditions.

Mine has been sitting on my desk here waiting for surgery to have it's on off switch fitted .. (I knew there was something I needed to get from Jaycar the other day :()

Dwarak
15-02-2012, 11:01am
I have used a third party interval meter with the canon 7d but after I did a firmware upgrade it stopped working and I have had issues with it on field with my 5d mark 2 as well when it failed to trigger the shutter. So I got myself the canon interval meter but it's just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk