PDA

View Full Version : Storing RAW and JPEG

Owen
29-01-2012, 7:41pm
Just started shooting RAW mode and I'm wondering do you guys keep both the original RAW file and the processed JPEG or just one or the other, just interested to know it might sound like a dumb question?

ricktas
29-01-2012, 7:44pm
Treat your RAW file like a film negative..Keep it. I rarely keep my JPGs.

My process is to process RAW and save as a TIF, then work on the TIF and save that as my processed version, then make a JPG for upload to the net/email etc. Once done, I delete the JPG

HDD storage is cheap as, these days, just get some extra HDD if you start to run out of space

Xenedis
29-01-2012, 8:06pm
Just started shooting RAW mode and I'm wondering do you guys keep both the original RAW file and the processed JPEG or just one or the other, just interested to know it might sound like a dumb question?

I shoot in raw mode only.

Any images I process end up with four files:

the original raw file;
the .xmp sidecar storing the raw conversion settings;
the 16-bit .psd file containing all of my processing in layers; and
the exported .jpg file for publishing.

There might be an additional .jpg file in B&W if I've run a B&W conversion as well.

ameerat42
29-01-2012, 8:11pm
The raw file is THE IMAGE. The resulting jpegs/tiff/anythings else are interpretations. Nothing more.
Am.

Owen
30-01-2012, 3:43pm
Alright, thanks.

Speedway
30-01-2012, 4:50pm
Storage is cheap these days so I store up to 6 versions of my files from raw to low res w/marked jpeg's for my website.
Keith.

MALCEB
30-01-2012, 10:17pm
I shoot RAW and then store in DNG (Raw) , High res JPEG and Low Res Jpeg for online