PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with old unwanted external hard drives?

Anne Sh
29-01-2012, 5:59pm
Like a number of us I have been a serious backuper. As the result I have accumulated a number of external hard drives over the years. Some are 350gbs and less.
How and where do I dispose of them safely both environmentally and to ensure that my backed up data is destroyed.

I am sure that there are good ways to dispose of these drives rather than just send them to land fill.

ricktas
29-01-2012, 6:03pm
Donate them to local charities, schools etc. That is what I do

I @ M
29-01-2012, 6:06pm
Ooooh what fun. :D

Seriously, pull it apart completely and donate the screws / bolts / nuts to a handy man, make sure all the metal parts go to a recycling bin and then delicately smash the platters in the drive itself.

Problem solvered and fun had at the same time.

The only part I don't know about ( tech challenged ) is if there is any retained voltage in the drive so caution may need to be exercised around the electrical bits. :confused013

Cyza
29-01-2012, 6:11pm
I'd imagine alot of people would quite happily take them of your hands, assuming you have deleted all the data completely, you'd be doing some one a favour and saving yourself the effort of pulling it apart or driving somewhere to recycle/destroy it.

arthurking83
29-01-2012, 9:50pm
Both donation of the device and the disassembly of it are good options to consider.

If you are into macro photography, the internals make for good/interesting/shiny/difficult subject matter.
If you are of the extremely charitable type, I'm sure a family member friend or local charity/op shop may find it useful too.

Use a secure drive wiper to make it hard for anyone to access the data easily.(CCCleaner is good for this).

photomike666
29-01-2012, 10:13pm
Format them, or download a program that cleans the drive so nothing is recoverable, then sell them on eBay.

Kym
29-01-2012, 10:17pm
The only part I don't know about ( tech challenged ) is if there is any retained voltage in the drive so caution may need to be exercised around the electrical bits. :confused013

Non issue. Just some small electrolytic caps that will be discharged after ~10 seconds.
You can get free diskwipe software.
http://www.diskwipe.org/

Xenedis
29-01-2012, 10:19pm
I disposed of a number of disks a few months ago. Most of them were 2.5" (laptop) hard disks.

I disassembled them, removed the platters and destroyed them.

The platters in laptop hard disks are ceramic and therefore very brittle, and will shatter into hundreds of fragments when struck.

The one 3.5" 40GB HDD I had wasn't so easy to destroy, but I gave the platter a good hammering (literally).

Anne Sh
01-02-2012, 4:34pm
Thanks everyone for your great ideas...

I have a mac so will reformatting them through disk utility be enough or do I need to download some of the software that has been suggested by Richard or Photomike666 and wipe them with that as well?

Anne Sh
05-02-2012, 9:54am
Thanks Richard that link was extremely helpful...to confirm that I have erased things properly.