PDA

View Full Version : Solar Flares = Aurora's, if we are lucky

ricktas
24-01-2012, 10:27am
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/massive-solar-eruption-to-send-radiation-storm-toward-earth/story-e6frfku0-1226252007145

It is known that solar flares are responsible for the appearance of the Auroras at both the North and South Pole. So the next couple of nights might prove to be worthwhile, for those interested in, and in an area, where Auroras are visible/photograph-able

bxaftw
24-01-2012, 11:15am
Thanks for sharing, ima be at queenstown on Thursday night, hope to catch a glimpse, and would be a dream come true to take some good photos.

are there any 'best' spots in tasmania to see one?

ricktas
24-01-2012, 2:22pm
Thanks for sharing, ima be at queenstown on Thursday night, hope to catch a glimpse, and would be a dream come true to take some good photos.

are there any 'best' spots in tasmania to see one?

anywhere away from the artificial lights glow of cities and towns. Think a good land/seascape location, and then just add night to it, with little or no cloud. It all has to come together to get a good result.

Danielle10
24-01-2012, 3:51pm
I read about this, u wouldn't see anything in Sydney would I?

ricktas
24-01-2012, 6:51pm

depends how intense it gets, but in Sydney no. You need to go where there are no city lights and the stars are clearly visible, in the blackness. Cities and towns have to much artificial light at night that makes viewing any aurora impossible. So go west..about 100kms

Danielle10
24-01-2012, 7:07pm
Yeah figured as much lol

Kerrie
24-01-2012, 7:21pm
Pouring rain in qld ... No chance here even if I could do it

Might practice rain drops :D

ricktas
24-01-2012, 7:39pm
Pouring rain in qld ... No chance here even if I could do it

Might practice rain drops :D

Yep, after a beautiful day here in Hobart, it's now closed in and misty rain at my place too. Rang my mum up the east coast, and closed in there too.

Patagonia
26-01-2012, 1:46pm
So any luck there? Nothing here in Chile as far as I know :( but according to the new on the northern hemisphere it was quite impressive..even in the south of England

ricktas
26-01-2012, 2:06pm
So any luck there? Nothing here in Chile as far as I know :( but according to the new on the northern hemisphere it was quite impressive..even in the south of England

nup, still cloudy in Hobart.

Ionica
26-01-2012, 4:30pm

The Blue Mountains can be very good for this, but it's very cloudy and raining, and may be this way for a while by the looks of it.

bxaftw
27-01-2012, 2:58pm
Ayo Rick or anyone down Hobart way, what's the sky looking like down there? Is it going to be overcast overnight? I'm very keen to see and photograph an aurora if one eventuates.

Here in devonport it's currently clear, but there are heavy clouds south.

ricktas
27-01-2012, 6:55pm
Clear here, but no idea if an Aurora is predicted for tonight. Often they are 'one night only' affairs.

ScottM
27-01-2012, 10:29pm
Clear sky here too but no aurora. As Rick mentioned, they can be one night only, and sometimes come when not expected.
Fingers crossed...

Taxxy
29-01-2012, 5:23pm
Anyone have any luck? I am over in Canada at the moment and was really hoping to catch a glimpse but was cloudy both nights it was predicted.