PDA

View Full Version : SOPA, PIPA and now Apple with ridiculous license terms... iBooks

Kym
22-01-2012, 2:55pm
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/apples-mind-bogglingly-greedy-and-evil-license-agreement/4360?tag=nl.e539

http://venomousporridge.com/post/16126436616/ibooks-author-eula-audacity

I’ve read and re-read Section 2B, and it does indeed go far beyond any license agreement I’ve ever seen:

B. Distribution of your Work. As a condition of this License and provided you are in compliance with its terms, your Work may be distributed as follows:

(i) if your Work is provided for free (at no charge), you may distribute the Work by any available means;
(ii) if your Work is provided for a fee (including as part of any subscription-based product or
service), you may only distribute the Work through Apple and such distribution is subject to the following limitations and conditions: (a) you will be required to enter into a separate written agreement with Apple (or an Apple affiliate or subsidiary) before any commercial distribution of your Work may take place; and (b) Apple may determine for any reason and in its sole discretion not to select your Work for distribution
And then the next paragraph is bold-faced, just so you don’t miss it:

Apple will not be responsible for any costs, expenses, damages, losses (including
without limitation lost business opportunities or lost profits) or other liabilities you may incur as a result of your use of this Apple Software, including without limitation the fact that your Work may not be selected for distribution by Apple.

The nightmare scenario under this agreement? You create a great work of staggering literary genius that you think you can sell for 5 or 10 bucks per copy. You craft it carefully in iBooks Author. You submit it to Apple. They reject it.

Bottom line, Apple will own your creativity if you you use their system.

Erin
22-01-2012, 4:46pm
Geez...

What's ours is ours and what's yours is ours too!

Bennymiata
22-01-2012, 5:36pm
Apple wants to own EVERYTHING.
It's trying to take over the music industry via i-Tunes, and now professional photographers.

No wonder i try and stay right away form ANY Apple products.

If I was a pro, I certainly wouldn't be using any Apple software.