PDA

View Full Version : Safe Seascaping: Don't Put Your Life on the Line

Xenedis
19-01-2012, 1:32am
With my recent re-ignition of my passion for seascape photography, it's a good time to remind people of the dangers of seascape photography.

Back in 2010, I published an article on Tips for Safe Seascape Photography (http://xenedis.wordpress.com/2010/06/20/tips-for-safe-seascape-photography/).

Earlier tonight, I encountered the following Australian-produced video segment, hosted by Andrew Ettingshausen, about rock fishing safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O-yKhyZJrw

While the video is primarily aimed at rock fisherman, fishing isn't the focus; the advice is generic, and applies equally to seascape photographers, who, like rock fisherman, stand on slippery rock shelves in sometimes dangerous conditions in pursuit of a nice 'catch'.

The video echoes some of the advice I provided in my article, but also includes some extra advice which is food for thought, and may well be worth following.

Safety is always an important part of seascape photography, and there's no time like the present to remind oneself of the dangers, and brush up on mitigation strategies.

Safe shooting!

rene52
19-01-2012, 9:29am
Thank you for the link and also the information - I suppose we as photographers don't always think about our own safety (but we should). I have tried to make sure that I keep an eye on my surroundings all the time as I have put myself in situations where it has not been safe and now I do. My family and friends do need me around for as long as possible (or they wouldn't see my fantastic photos - well they aren't too bad really lol).

arnica
19-01-2012, 12:47pm
Very informative J,

Sometimes we just get caught in the heat of the moment wanting to move onto that ledge or rock for a better POV and safety goes out the window.

terry.langham
19-01-2012, 1:59pm
Good find, Xenedis. I have a scar on one hand from hanging onto a rock after being hit by a freak wave on Fraser Island. Would have been curtains for me if I had slipped a little further. The scar now serves as a great reminder to check the conditions whenever I visit the rock ledges.

Out of curiosity, how many togs have you seen donning a PFD when venturing out onto the rocks?

Xenedis
19-01-2012, 2:25pm
Thank you for the link and also the information - I suppose we as photographers don't always think about our own safety (but we should). I have tried to make sure that I keep an eye on my surroundings all the time as I have put myself in situations where it has not been safe and now I do. My family and friends do need me around for as long as possible (or they wouldn't see my fantastic photos - well they aren't too bad really lol).

It's all too easy to forget safety in pursuit of a shot; I've done it myself.

A lot of the time, the ocean doesn't look all that dangerous, but if you stop and think about what can happen even if you fall into the water off a rock shelf in relatively calm conditions, it's quite harrowing.

Very informative J,
Sometimes we just get caught in the heat of the moment wanting to move onto that ledge or rock for a better POV and safety goes out the window.

Totally agree. That's why we need a reminder from time to time.

Good find, Xenedis. I have a scar on one hand from hanging onto a rock after being hit by a freak wave on Fraser Island. Would have been curtains for me if I had slipped a little further. The scar now serves as a great reminder to check the conditions whenever I visit the rock ledges.

That sounds painful and somewhat frightening. Glad you made it through the ordeal.

Out of curiosity, how many togs have you seen donning a PFD when venturing out onto the rocks?

I've been seascaping for years, and I cannot say I've ever seen any other shooters with a PFD.