PDA

View Full Version : 16-35mm f2.8 II owners

KeeFy
06-01-2012, 2:21pm
I'm looking for a 9stop or 10 stop ND filter for this lens... which means it's the elusive 82mm filter thread. As far as i know heliopan does it... any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

bushbikie
06-01-2012, 3:04pm
Lee Filters make the Big Stopper 10stop ND filter but that implies you have the Lee filter holder as well as an adapter (get a wide angle adapter for the 16-35 to reduce vignetting) to suit your lens. Having said that, you could then use the same filter/setup on your other lenses with appropriate adapters. There are a number of retailers that sell them in Oz but they are usually in short supply. That filter is next on my wish list.

mikec
06-01-2012, 3:11pm
I looked into this recently as well and decided that a square / retangular filter system would be best. The biggest problem was there seems to be large lead times on any of these large format filters. I also want something that will work with a 17mm TS-E eventually so I want to make sure I buy once and buy right.

I haven't bought into anything yet since I'm saving for a trip in a few weeks but it'll be the first thing I look into buying once I'm home.

KeeFy
06-01-2012, 3:49pm
I have a cokin A and P system and it feels too cumbersome for my liking but will consider it as an alternative now that the 82mm filter thread is so elusive. I also had the impression of light leakage from the sides. Anyone with the Lee filter have issues with light leakage?

Roosta
06-01-2012, 5:59pm
Window tint ??? LOL

KeeFy
06-01-2012, 6:16pm
I reckon 2 layers of the darkest window tint should do the job! LoL

Bennymiata
07-01-2012, 9:10pm
Or get a piece of welder's glass.
The type they use on welder's helmets.

William W
08-01-2012, 6:21am
Hoya make one:

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/14484792-md.jpg

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/14484793-md.jpg

I have a cokin A and P system and it feels too cumbersome for my liking but will consider it as an alternative now that the 82mm filter thread is so elusive. I also had the impression of light leakage from the sides. Anyone with the Lee filter have issues with light leakage?

I have a Cokin Holder and some ND's to suit, (not ND400).
Previously I have used a baffle around the filter holder in really bright conditions: quite easy to make with tape and black card - I have not used the Cokin Holders with this lens.

WW

Analog6
08-01-2012, 7:25am
There is a good review here (http://blog.robertstrachan.com/archives/844/lee-big-stopper-hitech-10-stop-nd-filter-review/) of the Lee and Hitech big stoppers. he specifically says light leakage is not a problem. Have you though oif tryimng dark welding glass for a start? There is a thread on here somewhere about it. You could see how you go with that and then buy the big stopper when it becomes available. I have the Lee fiulter system and previously had the 16-35 MkII. Never had any problems with the combo.

Dwarak
09-01-2012, 5:37pm
I find the ND vari filter pretty useful it's from singray it goes from 2 stops up to 8 stops. This helps in focussing and composition don't need to remove it every time you need to change focus or composition.

KeeFy
09-01-2012, 9:06pm
I currently have the ND400 in 77mm guise and couldn't find much info on the 82mm version other than it was supposed to be released mid 2011. I think i might pick one up as it doesn't have much of a colour cast vs the welding glass method.

Thanks guys!

kobeson
28-05-2012, 12:23pm
I'm looking into this at the moment also, but struggling to come up with a solution other than the Lee kit. Unsure how much the kit + adapter + big stopper would come to.

Wondering gow much vignetting a 77mm ND110 would cause with a step down ring on a 16-35 mk ii? Anybody tried this? If it was only losing 3-4mm in the wide end, that could be an option for me - already own a 77 ND110!

Bennymiata
28-05-2012, 3:12pm
Singh-Ray make a variable ND filter in 82mm, and it is available from B&H.
Not cheap. but they work well.

kobeson
28-05-2012, 3:55pm
Ok cool, cheers, will be checking out the Kenko ND400 and will also check that one out :)