PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Advice

napsview
04-01-2012, 12:18am
Hi Everyone,

Been away for a while working.
Going to New Zealand in acouple of weeks for a holiday and would like to take a tripod preferably something light.
I am aslo taking apart from a DSLR a Samll video camera as I want to record the trip on in a combination of stills and movie.
Any tips, I really am a novice.

napsview
04-01-2012, 12:19am
That is actually a small video camera

ricktas
04-01-2012, 7:24am
Are you going to do some serious photography, or are you just going to get some holiday snaps to record your trip? For me, the answer to this defines everything. If I go on holiday to be a photographer, I just take my heavy and good quality Manfrotto. If I am going on holidays and my photos are just incidental then I take my gorillapod.

LJG
04-01-2012, 8:47am
When I don't take my tripod, I wish I did. When I do take it, I hardly use it at all. Rick is right, a gorillapod is a good compromise and mine goes with me everywhere. Just one word of advice - take all your gear as carry on. I never let it go as checked, except my tripod if I do take it, it just goes into one of the suitcases. NZ is a wonderous place where you will get many many shots - I mean hundreds, so make sure you either have enough memory cards or some way to download them and keep them. If you take a laptop also take a portable drive as well. I lost a full NZ holiday worth of shots when my laptop hard drive fizzed on the last day :( I now don't leave home without 48gig of CF cards, my laptop and a Passport portable drive as well. Overkill maybe, but when you get burnt by losing every holiday shot you don't take any more chances.

Kym
04-01-2012, 9:45am
:gday: & Welcome Back
- lets see some new photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) and have fun!

simonw
04-01-2012, 12:47pm
Welcome aboard! You can still take plenty of good shots without a heavy tripod, a nice little alluminium tripod will be fine and wont stop you enjoying your sight seeing.