PDA

View Full Version : Macro gear?

Crystal
02-01-2012, 8:24pm
What do most people use for their macro photos? An actual lens or macro filter?

ricktas
02-01-2012, 9:02pm
Lens! the macro filters are fun, and can create wonderful results, but nothing beats a decent macro lens. Mine is the Sigma 150mm F2.8 macro

Wayne
02-01-2012, 9:21pm
As Rick says, a lens is best.

AmPhot
02-01-2012, 9:31pm
Lens. Tamron 90mm. Macro lenses can also make good portraiture lenses as well, so they are a good investment if you want to dabble in macro. :)

arthurking83
02-01-2012, 10:22pm
As always a high quality lens will generally give you better results, but in saying that a very high quality close up lens accessory, which is wrongly referred to as a filter, and actually called a dipotre can still give you good results too.

As I currently understand it, the Canon D500 is the best value for money dioptre/close up attachment you can get.
There will be other dioptres manufactured by the usual established lens makers, such as B+W or whoever that may get top notch results too, but they generally come at a higher price.

if the bare lens is extremely capable to begin with, then a dioptre will still give very good results with that lens, but if the lens is marginal, then the final result will still be marginal.

Can't remember exact prices, but a 77mm D500 can cost in the order of $200(I think.. not sure) ... a very capable Tamron 90mm can be had for about $400. Sounds like a lot more for the actual lens, and there are pros and cons for each type.
Most macro specific lenses will go to 1:1(being actual macro), whereas the dipotre may only give something like 1:3 (one third magnification only).
But with the dipotre, you can pick and choose which lens you want to mount it too .. so if you had something like a 300mm f/4, or 400mm f/5.6 of very high quality, then you can get in closer, and still maintain a good working distance.
With a dedicated macro lens, you will be limited to the working distance of the lens.

Lens is better : Dioptre is more flexible

Crystal
06-01-2012, 10:51am
Thanks for your reply's!