PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had experience using an Eye-Fi SD card and an IPAD?

Brian500au
19-12-2011, 11:15pm
Has anybody had experience with one of these Eye-Fi SD cards?

I am seriously considering one to hook up to my IPAD for instant feedback on a shoot, but I don't want to waste money if they are slow or just a gimmick.

mikec
20-12-2011, 10:08pm
I've heard they are slow to download and won't give you instant feed back that you are after.

Brian500au
20-12-2011, 11:06pm
I am quite surprised more people have not tried them - in theory it is a great concept.

KLi
22-12-2011, 5:19pm
I use the eyefi with a D90 and ipad sending only small size jpeg for review, usually takes around 2-3 seconds but they do back up a little when you shoot fast. I have used it for product and some children with the grandparents holding the ipad looking at the images during the session live.

For "quick" review it's good but don't expect it to be instant. Personally for product or studio work I still prefer to tether by cable but for more family work outdoor the eye fi has it's use.

Brian500au
22-12-2011, 7:45pm
This is something I am more look at for on location work. At the moment I stop ever 15 - 30 mins and download into my ipad for review but I would love something did not require me to interrupt my work flow for long periods of time. I would be looking at sending a small Jpeg over to the ipad.

etherial
30-12-2011, 12:31pm
I'm with Brian, I'd love to have something for outdoor use to quickly transfer files to an Android tablet. Problem is my cameras are all CF and the Eye-Fi with CF adapter is hit and miss so I haven't bothered to pursue it as yet.

Brian500au
30-12-2011, 1:11pm
I am quite surprised this item is not more popular given how handy it would be if it worked as advertised. I am still on the fence but I think curiosity will get the better of me in the new year.

nhutty
04-01-2012, 8:42pm
Hi Brian500au,

i do have this exact setup, an eyefi 8gb card in my 60D and my ipad 2. At the time (June 2011) i found the transfer speed quite slow for immediate viewing, it was convenient though having the photos on the ipad if you weren't too fussed about the speed. Since then i have made my main pc the recipient of the eyefi photos. Unfortunately i haven't figured out how to send photos to 2 simultaneous devices (i.e a laptop and the ipad) and because of this i just have it set to my laptop now.

Brian500au
04-01-2012, 11:15pm
Hi Brian500au,

i do have this exact setup, an eyefi 8gb card in my 60D and my ipad 2. At the time (June 2011) i found the transfer speed quite slow for immediate viewing, it was convenient though having the photos on the ipad if you weren't too fussed about the speed. Since then i have made my main pc the recipient of the eyefi photos. Unfortunately i haven't figured out how to send photos to 2 simultaneous devices (i.e a laptop and the ipad) and because of this i just have it set to my laptop now.

How big were the files you were sending across?

nhutty
05-01-2012, 11:03am
the files were usually 5-6mb in size

Brian500au
06-01-2012, 9:35pm
ok thankyou - I think I would be trying to transfer very small jpg to the Ipad - more around the 250 - 350 kb in size. This might work out a lot faster.

maccaroneski
12-01-2012, 1:24pm
ok thankyou - I think I would be trying to transfer very small jpg to the Ipad - more around the 250 - 350 kb in size. This might work out a lot faster.

If you have a camera with dual card slots you could shoot raw to the primary card and small JPEG to the eye-fi...

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/7549

Brian500au
13-01-2012, 12:22am
If you have a camera with dual card slots you could shoot raw to the primary card and small JPEG to the eye-fi...

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/7549

Yep shooting with a 1 series canon so it has both cards.

Brian500au
12-02-2012, 11:23pm
Well I finally bought one of these cards. I shoot with a 1D so it has both the CF and SD cards, and can write RAW to the CF and small jpeg to the SD card.

To sum it up, when it works it is a great idea. Card takes about 5 secs to down load a 250K jpeg to my Ipad. Very handy to show and give instant feedback to the model I am working with. The only downside is when the photos don't download, I have no idea why, and cannot do anything about it. Next time I opened my Ipad they were there. The other good thing about this card is it will automatically transfer the files to my smugmug account - still playing and tweaking but I think this could work for me.

Kel