PDA

View Full Version : Straps for Beginners

hatter
12-12-2011, 1:49pm
I just pulled my new 7D out of the box, I'm off to pick up my 15-85mm in a little while from the Fedex centre in a little while. In the meantime I grabbed everything out and quickly put on the neckstrap but it seems terrible. While I love the tool factor with 7D plastered all over it I'm sure that will get old quickly, the material is atrocious, and I can't get it short enough to be comfortable.

What tips or anecdotes do you have with regard to straps? I'm open to hand straps and neckstraps. I like a handstrap for added subtlety however if I ever drop it I feel a neckstrap for me to catch would be helpful (for my bouts of ninja).

Cheers
Ben

dragons girl
12-12-2011, 2:35pm
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum :)

I recently asked the same question as my canon stap was very uncomfortable here is a link
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?95139-Which-Neck-Strap-do-you-use-Pros-and-Cons

I brought the crumpler industry discrace it is very comfortable especially when wearing for a long period of time :)

Hope this helps you .
Kylie

Katt
15-12-2011, 1:51pm
Another vote for the Crumpler Industry Disgrace. I have travelled with it hanging around my neck for long periods of time & it has never become uncomfortable - the same cannot be said for the Canon strap that came with the body......

Seabee
15-12-2011, 1:55pm
I never use a strap on either of my cameras!!!! :confused013

Is that a bad thing lol

Bennymiata
15-12-2011, 3:58pm
I also found the Canon strap to not only be uncomfortable, but it dug into my neck too.
Personally, I like to hold the camera in my hand so one of those hand-straps that connect to the tripod mount looks like they would be a good idea, or if you are carrying the camera with a big lens on it, one of the Rapid straps would be very good.
I have one of the Black Rapids, and I can easily walk around all day with my 100-400 lens on the camera.

ving
15-12-2011, 5:09pm
i have never use a canon strap... but the q-strap (cheap vers of rapid strap). works great.

Wobbles
15-12-2011, 5:54pm
As much as I love the brand, I have 2 pet peeves with Canon:
1. You pay $1000+ for a lens and still have to pay extra for a lens hood.
2. The crappy "standard" camera straps.
..well that's enough whinging...

My recommendations for alternate straps are:
1. As noted above the Black Rapids http://www.blackrapid.com/ are great for carrying heavy outfits (eg. 1Diii+70-200 2.8+flash) for extended periods, comfortably & discreetly on your hip (good in crowds) but can be drawn "rapidly" for a quick shot. They are a bit pricey but are excellent quality and being the first they have a fair bit of evolution behind them.

2. For something more "conventional" the Op/Tech Pro strap http://optechusa.com/straps/pro-strap.html is really comfortable and versatile. I got some extra short loop straps with clips on them that stay permanently on my cameras, binoculars etc. and I can just clip the strap on if/when needed.

Cheers
John