PDA

View Full Version : Hi there!

CarmineD
10-12-2011, 12:42pm
Greetings all, it’s fantastic to have found this local forum - I am looking forward to sharing things photographic.

A quick rundown of my photo experience.
My first camera was an old Pentax that my parents had. I don’t remember what model it was but it was an SLR. I learnt to use it at school when schools had photolabs and you could develop your own prints.

The first camera I purchased with my own money was a Nikon FA. I loved it. It kind of got me through Uni. I used it to take pictures in restaurants for a company here in Sydney, Happy Medium - not sure if it’s around anymore – boy they were fun days.

At that time I did have some photos published in the British mags read I back then. (Camera Weekly and Practical Photography I think.) - loved David Baily’s articles on B&W photography.

I lost touch with the creative aspects of photography when we had kids and things went digital. We wanted to take photos of the kids in digital (because it was so easy) but SLRs back then were so expensive we went for a point and shooter (Olympus C-750) which produced ok shots but was not an SLR. Ye Ye I became lazy!

But I have been recently reborn – The man in red this year has brought me a Nikon D5100 with a lens kit. (18-55mm and the 75-300mm lenses - just to start off, but don’t tell the financial controller).

I know nothing about DSLRs so I am currently reading David D. Busch’s Mastering Digital SLR Photography. Woffles a bit doesn’t he?

I used the D5100 for the first time last Tuesday night at my son’s graduation, wow! do I have some questions which I am trying to figure out – perhaps I will save those for other posts.

Well that’s a bit about me. Not sure if I am a beginner or intermediate at the moment but am really looking forward to getting in to it. Cheers Carmine.

Wayne63
10-12-2011, 12:54pm
Welcome to AP Carmine, there is lots of interesting ready in the library section which may be of help to you.

CarmineD
10-12-2011, 1:22pm
Thanks Wayne.
I did have a peek- looks very interesting and lots to learn.

Cheers

ricktas
10-12-2011, 1:40pm
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site

Wayne
10-12-2011, 2:11pm
Welcome, if you have the past experience with film, you will understand the triangle of exposure, and then it's just working out that you no longer adjust f/stop by turning an aperture ring (it doesn't exist on those Nikon lenses you will get) and just familiarising yourself with the buttons and switches on the body, the rest should be easy for you.

Just a note, and as an old film user it may not mean much to you, but that body doesn't have a focus motor or screw drive built-in, so any Nikon lens (other 3rd party ones too) that does not have a built in auto-focus motor (denoted on the lens by the letters "AF-S" on Nikon lenses, and I think "HSM" on Sigma) will be manual focus only.

Kym
10-12-2011, 3:13pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) and have fun!

CarmineD
10-12-2011, 6:53pm
Yes, I am trying to figure how to get my old lenses to work the new camera. I have seen informaiton saying that appart from auto and auto exposure I should be able to use them. I find that while they do fit the camera, I connot get the shutter to release.

Wayne63
11-12-2011, 8:44am
Hi Carmine, You can go to Camera/Lens/Gear Talk in the forums and ask the questions you like and I'm sure more experienced people may be able to help you out.

selaw
11-12-2011, 10:08am
Hi Carmine, with your history in film you will have little trouble catching up with digital. You're sure to have stacks of fun on AP, enjoy :)

Tommo1965
11-12-2011, 10:50am
Yes, I am trying to figure how to get my old lenses to work the new camera. I have seen informaiton saying that appart from auto and auto exposure I should be able to use them. I find that while they do fit the camera, I connot get the shutter to release.

as the 5100 only will only autofocus with AFS lenses..if you are trying to use a older non AFS lens it will manual focus only....on my nikon camera it has a setting that it will only release the shutter once focus has been obtained { focus/release }..you can change that to release/focus priority ..well on mine you can..not sure about the 5100...but it may be your issue

CarmineD
11-12-2011, 11:38am
Thanks for that Tommo, I read up on focus in the manuel last night and had not put two and two together, Thanks again.