PDA

View Full Version : Talia (:

TaliaLynette
10-12-2011, 11:33am
Hi my name is Talia, I am 18 and I really want to get into a career in photography!
I will be gettting a DSLR in a few weeks and am considering a Canon EOS 600D.
I also have an interview for a photography course at TAFE next year and I am hoping to get in! (any advice about the interview would be great!)
I can't wait to meet some people on here and get started!
Thanks for reading! (:

Wayne63
10-12-2011, 11:57am
:action66: Welcome to AP Talia, enjoy the site. Check out the library for a lot of great reading and join in on the forums

MiniFighter
10-12-2011, 1:09pm
Welcome Talia, theres plenty to read and learn here and the people are great :)

Im currently doing a course and loving it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Wayne.

Kym
10-12-2011, 2:15pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) and have fun!

Have a look at this re: career http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?73305-Becoming-a-Professional-Photographer

arthurking83
10-12-2011, 2:56pm
Hi my name is Talia, ....

g'day!

...I also have an interview for a photography course at TAFE next year and I am hoping to get in! (any advice about the interview would be great!)
..... (:

Are you paying for this course.

if so, then I don't geddit!

YOU should be the one interviewing them!!
You should be asking relevant questions, pertinent points, and demanding to see credentials.
If you are going to invest any amount of money into a course, even tho it is ultimately to your eventual gain, you should be the one making sure that they're up to scratch.

If the course is free, then this doesn't matter .. if they're scammers with dodgy credentials and they go south at some point half way through the course, then all you've lost is your time.

Be sure to be assertive and to ask what they're credentials are and how relevant are they in academic circles.

FWIW, my brother in law is an upper manager at Batman Kangan TAFE, and almost on a weekly basis he's has some new story of a sham coming up or closing down in the education industry.
His biggest concern went from the Food Service industry, where it was a veritable cesspool of scam mongering basically catering(pun intended) predominantly to the Indian overseas student market. The premise was that the student came to Aus to escape the below standard living conditions in India and hopefully to get Aus citizenship at some point in the future.
I think the figures were that barely 1% of the student ever followed up in the food service industry after their 6month intensive course.. etc, etc.

Apparently they are slowly gravitating into the photographic education industry as this is a very cheap manner in which to get government education dollars behind them as their startup/setup investment is pretty low.
They probably have an office rented in a s####y building, in some high profile suburb with the idea to lull students into believing that they are a well established education service.

If it's a well known established education service, such as a college that's been around for eons, and suchlike ... Universities, TAFE, Institute of Technologies, etc etc. then you'll be ok.

But you don't want a PhD in photography from the International College of Photographic Superstars.

Delve deeply into their history and background if they're not one of the established education campuses!!
Don't judge them solely on their advertising material or course pricing if they are not established.

A cheaper alternative is to teach yourself too!
If you have the interest in a particular field, then (I believe) that from this comes ability to learn independently of the traditional education system.

Read books(that's basically what you do in a course anyhow!) do some practical work, experiment, and discover for yourself why things work the way they do .. simply being told that this is how it works .. remember it and use it! is a less effective way to get students to understand how things work.

oops! I've rambled on again :o

davidp1984
10-12-2011, 3:47pm
Welcome, it's a great place to get feedback on your shots.

8perpetual
10-12-2011, 3:52pm
welcome to the forums, all the best to your photographic journey!

TaliaLynette
10-12-2011, 3:56pm
The course is at a TAFE so i know it's ok (: but thankyou anyway!
Nice to meet you all (:

William
10-12-2011, 4:05pm
Hi Talia , Welcome to AP, Most , If not all can be learnt on this site, Get your Camera , Start taking some images and post them for CC , You will get a wealth of helpful information , You will find that doing a course does'nt mean that your going to be a good Photographer, Learn about Aperture , Shutter speed and ISO , Take heaps of shots , A course is'nt going to teach you to "See" That comes with experience and practice :)

Mark L
10-12-2011, 11:27pm
Welcome to AP Talia.
Photography wise, I've learnt a lot here, so the most important thing is to become an active member. I guarantee you will learn by hanging around.

......, I am 18 and I really want to get into a career in photography!
.....(:
Some great photographers know bugger all about business, some great business people know bugger all about photography. Who's the one that's
going to make money out of photography?:confused013
If you're prepared to study, can I suggest some sort of course in business management/marketing first. You can learn about photography for free (and with practice) while you do this. You can always do a photography course later. So then, maybe you won't just have "a career in photography", you can have a business in photography. Just a thought.
Oh to be your age and have such options to consider.:):th3:

selaw
11-12-2011, 9:01am
Welcome aboard Talia, you're bound to gain a stack of inspiration & learn heaps here. Get your camera, start shooting, post and enjpy the experience.