PDA

View Full Version : What do i need?

Crystal
06-12-2011, 8:26am
Hi all,
I've had my Nikon D5100 for a week and I'm wondering what else I need to buy that is essential for starting out? I have 2 lenses (18-55mm and 55-300mm) and a camera bag. But that's it. A friend told me I need uv filters??? Is there anything else I should get? ..... And also is there a "correct" way to pack the camera bag? (as in lens standing face down/face up etc). I really want to look after my gear properly!

Thanks everyone.

kiwi
06-12-2011, 9:20am
Lens face up or even better sideways

Don't buy any filters

Tripod and a flash might be useful

Go out and take lots of shots

peterb666
06-12-2011, 9:34am
The type of photography you do will determine what you need to buy. Do a course at your local community college and get some shooting behind yourself - that will determine what to buy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Seabee
06-12-2011, 10:53am
Agree with all of the above.................and I have never bought a UV filter :)

It really does depend on the style of shooting you start leaning towards.......save your money for the moment and get to know the controls that you have at your disposal in the camera.
There is no point spending $$ on filters at the moment until you know the threes basics of your Camera.....Shutter speed, Aperture and ISO.

When you learn the relations between these 3, buying the additions will become a lot easier because you will have a better understanding of how they all tie in together.

BUT.....if you ask me now what my must haves are in my bag, they would be a : Neutral Density Filter (ND) x 8, a Circular Polariser, Remote Shutter and Tripod.
I can get around not having the remote shutter and use the timer in the camera.....but the 2 filters and Tripod are my never walk out the door without them items.

BUT, lol......thats only from 7 yrs of buying every cheap and nasty addition I could find and then discovering wjat works best for me.
We are all different and you will find yours in time..

Just have fun shooting heaps and heaps.............don't forget to show though lol

ScottM
06-12-2011, 11:32am
Oh no, another person being made broke! Especially as you start acquiring things over time. Some things you'll find useful almost straight away, some as you start trying more and more things, and others as you want the quality of your pics to improve.

Short term: Definitely get a spare battery or two - this is an absolute must! A tripod you'll also find very useful.

Then: filters and remote shutter release, possibly flash.

You'll probably think about different lenses at some point, but wait until you see what you like to take photos of - that'll determine zoom/focal lengths and the like.

Don't forget software either! Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop are very popular. GIMP is a free version also very suitable. Others range from High Dynamic Range (HDR) software, to panoramic stitching, to noice reduction, toning, ... Most have trial versions, some others are free. Don't go overboard or worry too much about this side too early!

Good luck - and enjoy!

Seabee
06-12-2011, 12:16pm
Oh Yeah..........Good point about the Batteries Scott, I automatically buy an extra 3 (battery Grip) with any camera I get plus an extra charger.

Quite happy getting them from Ebay....never been an issue to date :o

ScottM
06-12-2011, 1:40pm
Same here Cindy - have bought a few from eBay, and they're all going strong. In fact the most recent couple I bought had a higher power rating than the originals!

Crystal
06-12-2011, 2:26pm
thanks everyone

Mark L
06-12-2011, 10:55pm
Tripod and a flash might be useful
Go out and take lots of shots

I'm slowly developing a long wish list, however I think a tripod is a must, and a flash is becoming a priority. A lens hood is fast moving up my list and and and. It kinda depends what type of photos you end up taking. Weddings, macro, landscape, will require different stuff.
As kiwi said, "Go out and take lots of shots", you've got a good range with you're lens, and as time goes by, you'll learn what you need.
And you don't need UV filters!

filpee
07-12-2011, 2:05am
Maybe his friend suggested a lens filter as its a cheap(ish) way to protect the front element on his lens.

ricktas
07-12-2011, 6:11am
Maybe his friend suggested a lens filter as its a cheap(ish) way to protect the front element on his lens.

Not necessary, the front element glass is infinitely harder than the glass/plastic in most filters.

kiwi
07-12-2011, 7:43pm

Let me guess, a filter salesperson at Harvey Norman told you this urban myth ?

Lol

Mark L
07-12-2011, 9:42pm
Re UV filters, this is a good read....http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?63081-My-take-on-the-use-of-UV-filters

knumbnutz
07-12-2011, 9:52pm
I would love to know what a UV filter does for an image - extra flare ? FIIK
My theory is - if I have just paid Nikon $XXX for their finest lens the last thing i want to do is put $20 of junk glass in front of it and then complain my images are arent sharp.,..:eek:

Although I would suggest a Circular polarizer filter for the odd occasional use where needed.

and if you are careful and treat the camera well, you won't ever damage a lens

Crystal
11-12-2011, 7:41am
Re UV filters, this is a good read....http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?63081-My-take-on-the-use-of-UV-filters

Thankyou, this was a good read

Crystal
11-12-2011, 7:44am
My friend did suggest the uv filter as a protection method.... I'm glad I have researched it.

Thankyou everyone for your replies

Sobriquet
22-12-2011, 7:56pm
Not necessary, the front element glass is infinitely harder than the glass/plastic in most filters.

But a UV filter is a heck of a lot easier to replace and well worth it when you are new to handling a camera

peterb666
22-12-2011, 10:14pm
But a UV filter is a heck of a lot easier to replace and well worth it when you are new to handling a camera

For all the money down the drain on useless UV filters over the last 30 years I could have bought another 3 or more lenses.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Kerrie
22-12-2011, 10:36pm
This is very useful info. Thanks all, and crystal too. I never thought of a flash yet...it's on the list!