PDA

View Full Version : New Brissie member

roastman
03-12-2011, 1:42pm
Hi. Having messed with cameras for the past 20 years, without making any real effort to improve my photography, I have decided to take the leap into shooting better images. I have always enjoyed photography, but have been frustrated after viewing results (especially since shooting digital) that have been disappointing, mostly because of lack of real effort on my part. As I was given the gift of a Red Balloon night photography workshop, I was forced to go out and use my gear for something other than "grab shots". It was one of the best things that could have happened, as I suddenly found inspiration that has been missing for many years. I was back on the same location the following night and after some negotiation with my wife, I now have a nice new Canon 5D MKII and my first "L" series lens kit. To avoid a divorce, she has a nice shiny new sewing machine! I think it was a decent trade-off and we work hard, spend little, so it was time to buy ourselves a present.

Over the coming months I am setting myself a task of taking at least one "keeper" every single weekend. I know my interpretation of what is a "keeper" will be far different to others, so constructive criticism will be very welcome. I aim to improve, so I am willing to listen to advice! My main criteria is I must capture a decent image "out of the box", as I am not a big fan of computer manipulation. I know this is ridiculous, as all of my best photos were taken on black and white film and then methodically printed (dodge, burn, alter contrast, tone). I am sure my attitude will change as I become more familiar with software packages, but I have never been one for making massive changes after the shot was taken. This is in stark contrast to my usual techie leanings, as I love my toys (hey, how did we ever live without Ipads etc?).

I have started a photostream on Flickr under the same user ID as this forum, so please feel free to critique my photos as I add more to the site. There is not much up there at the moment, but is will grow! Anyway, I hope to bump into forum members while out and about with the tripod. I look forward to viewing other members photos for inspiration, learning new techniques and getting some feedback on my own progress.

Troy

ameerat42
03-12-2011, 4:10pm
Hi Troy. Welcome to AP. That's quite a manifesto of aims, and they sound OK. Just one thing (and you've done well to join right in with your other reply) you should put photos directly into threads to get critique (either by linking them, or as attachments) rather than referring people to your Flickr account.
Am.

roastman
03-12-2011, 4:19pm
Thanks! As I take some new shots, I'll post them as I go, rather than adding stuff from previous weeks. I am hoping to have something new by tomorrow, provided I get out of bed early enough :)

Kym
03-12-2011, 7:18pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) and have fun!

Tikira
03-12-2011, 7:38pm
Hi Troy and welcome aboard. I think you will be very pleased you took the time to join AP. There is a wealth of knowledge here, both within the forum with plenty of hint's, tips and learning plans, and the members themselves go out of their way to help.

Lucky you for living in the Brisbane area, as the Qld members are very active in terms of meets. If you are inclined to meet some of them check out the qld meets section
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?97-QLD

I look forward to seeing some of your shots.

Di

ricktas
03-12-2011, 7:50pm
Welcome to AP. pull up a chair and join in

jorbaicoo
03-12-2011, 7:54pm
welcome mate

roastman
03-12-2011, 7:54pm
Thanks everybody

Yes, I will be checking out meets in Brisbane. There is a lot of inspirational photography on this site, so it would be good to meet some of the people behind the cameras. I have already learnt from reading a few posts, so will be checking in here regularly.

flyreels
03-12-2011, 9:29pm
Welcome its a great place with lots of helpful info, enjoy!
Cheers Peter