PDA

View Full Version : Which Neck Strap do you use ? Pros and Cons ??

dragons girl
18-11-2011, 7:26pm
Hi all

Wanted to get some advice on which neck strap you use ? Why do and dont you like about it ?

I am looking at getting a crumpler discrage anyone using this ?

Kylie

ricktas
18-11-2011, 8:12pm
If you want to get the best, get a Black Rapid R-strap : http://www.blackrapid.com/

old dog
18-11-2011, 8:42pm
Rick could be right here although I have the Loepro voyager C and it`s good except that I tend to sweat a bit and it gets soaked.

Bennymiata
18-11-2011, 10:04pm
I generally don't use any strap, unless I have to walk for some distance and I don't want to carry a bag with me.
I find that straps just get in the way as most of my work is done on a tripod.

However, if I go to the zoo, or somewhere where I need to carry the camera only, I have a Black Rapid (RS5 I think) and I reckon it is terrific.
The strap is screwed on to the tripod mount, so it is safe and secure, and it hangs by your side very comfortably, and I've used it with my 100-400L quite a few times, and hardly even notice the camera is even there.
Not only is it comfortable, but because the camera hangs upside down, it is really quick to grab and take photos without anything rubbing and chaffing your neck, unlike other straps I've used in the past.
The litle pockets on the shoulder can be quite usefull for carrying extra cards, batteries and filters too.

Kym
18-11-2011, 10:14pm
I have a neoprene wide neck strap.
They are very comfortable.
Cheap off ebay. Search 'neoprene camera neck strap" on ebay.

rocklogic
18-11-2011, 10:17pm
I just bought a Crumpler Singapore Sling (unavailable in Oz) - when I was in London. I've seen them on eBay before

Love that thing! Wouldn't change that for anything else (yet)

Very comfortable - was almost around my neck for 10hour days for a week around Manchester and London!

wheellathe
18-11-2011, 10:20pm
I have the standard Nikon strap which I dont like, I like the concept of the Black Rapid but would be in constant fear about ripping out the tripod socket.

KeeFy
18-11-2011, 11:03pm
Optech pro loop XL x 2 + dual harness. Cheapish considering a set pro loop set delivered from fleabay costs about $20. Main strap bit is made of neoprene. Reason why i don't like the original straps + crumpler is that the edges are rough. Over long hours it may scratch/rope burn your neck skin which was an issue i experienced with the original.

I tried on a crumpler and it felt as if there was a possibility to do so as well. Don't like the camera hanging inverse idea of a black rapid and as well as it being almost double the price of a optech.

As for comfort wise, 70-200 f2.8 + 7D gripped feels easy for a few hours. 17-55 f2.8 + 7D gripped all day with ease. Neoprene does have a little bit of a suspension feel to it so depending on how you look at it, it may be advantageous or a disadvantage.

ausguitarman
19-11-2011, 12:58am
Been using an Industry Disgrace for a few years now and love it. Nice around the neck and sits on the shoulder nicely.

Just bought a Convenient Disgrace but I'm yet to fit it.

J.davis
19-11-2011, 1:04am
+1 Industry disgrace - went all over Europe with me.

MarkChap
19-11-2011, 2:16am
Black Rapid RS7, they also make a model that is shaped better to fit for women, would never go back to an around the neck strap again.
You can get Chinese knock offs cheaper on EBay, I have a double from EBay, but the original is by far a better made item, worth every penny

K10D
19-11-2011, 2:29am
Black Rapid is good but Sun Sniper Pro is better due to ball raced coupling. I use the dual strap version.

Best regards

mechawombat
19-11-2011, 3:05am
Who would have thought there was such choice

Hmm now I do like the look of the Black rapid :th3:

flame70
19-11-2011, 1:38pm
I use a double camera slinger and have used it all around the world - very happy with it
http://www.adorama.com/CZCSFDCS.html

Xenedis
19-11-2011, 1:42pm
I have a Lowepro neoprene neck strap, but I don't use it; I don't like neck straps at all, as they get in the way and look unsightly.

Most of the time, my camera is tripod-mounted, for for hand-held photography I've managed for years without a strap.

William
19-11-2011, 4:39pm
I'm with John, I use the Canon strap that came with the camera, Thing is I never use it , I find them very uncomfortable , I usually wrap the strap around my Wrist and carry it , Or It's on the tripod while also holding the strap at the same time

PS : I do put it around my neck when hanging over a big cliff face or lookout , Thats just my Paranoria :D

dragons girl
19-11-2011, 5:46pm
Wow :)

Thanks all for the replies so many options to think about will be doing some more searching now !!

Cheers
Kylie

CHardy
19-11-2011, 7:22pm
I agree with the Black Rapid suggestion. I bought the one designed specifically for women and I absolutely love it!!! I will never use anything else again...a hint though...I went onto the australian site, then compared the price with the USA site...and with the currency conversion ( about 3-4 mths ago) it was about $15.00 cheaper to buy from the overseas shop...I did wait 2 weeks for delivery, but I think it was worth it. :D

LJG
19-11-2011, 8:45pm
I have a Black Rapid RS4. I brought it because I thought the wider strap would be more comfortable than the thinner RS7. I am on my second one, the first one started to come apart not long after I brought it, so I swapped it out for a new one where I purchased it (Bentley's). I hope I have more luck with number 2! It is still a far better way of carrying your camera out of the bag.

Danielle10
19-11-2011, 9:59pm
I want the rs 5, but finances won't allow it.
I use just a normal neck strap, however it is a leopard print one and I think it looks pretty cool hehehe

Boo53
19-11-2011, 10:20pm
I use the R7 on one body. Bought it as a result of a similar thread to this about 12 months ago.

I then bought a Chinese knock off called a quick rapid, which I'm just as happy with, for about 1/3rd the price.

There are a few on fleabay but not all have the same connection to the base plate as this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Rapid-Shoulder-Camera-Strap-Canon-Nikon-Sony-/260795236413?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3cb89b803d

triptych
19-11-2011, 11:29pm
lol I just use a standard neck strap. Its a Capturing Couture one which has pretty ones :D

bdparker
19-11-2011, 11:45pm
I don't like neck straps, they are the proverbial pain in the neck and get in the way of the controls.
I finally bought a BlackRapid, although I did think seriously about get a Sun Sniper Steel, with a steel braid running through it for extra security and supension springs at the sholder to offset some of the load.

reaction
20-11-2011, 11:54am
Anyone use 2x Black Rapid ? I want something with the option of having 1 or 2 cameras on me.
A double looks unbalanced with 1 camera

also the camera is pointed sideways, doesn't look too much better than the normal strap which I put over a shoulder. you'll still bump into people with a long lens?

Lance B
20-11-2011, 1:09pm
I use a Sun Sniper, which is essentially like a Black Rapid, and it is the best I've used.

I have a 2x Black Rapid, but have not used it yet.

Xenedis
20-11-2011, 1:14pm
I don't like neck straps, they are the proverbial pain in the neck

They are literally pains in the neck. :-)

and get in the way of the controls.

Yes, I've found that. Also, any metal fittings can potentially scratch the chimp screen.

bdparker
20-11-2011, 4:30pm
Yes, I've found that. Also, any metal fittings can potentially scratch the chimp screen.

This is what the original Pentax neck strap did to the top screen (with plastic fittings):(
I thought I was carfull at how I placed the camera in my kit bag with the neck strap, after this I took it off.

Anyone use 2x Black Rapid ? I want something with the option of having 1 or 2 cameras on me.
A double looks unbalanced with 1 camera

you can get the BlackRapid 'CoupleR' that will link two RS-1 to RS-5s together

norval
20-11-2011, 8:01pm
I bought a Black Rapid R-strap too and it's way better than the Nikon strap I struggled with for years. Very comfortable.
Norm

ApolloLXII
20-11-2011, 8:13pm
I use the Sony strap that came with both my cameras but I only ever use the strap if I'm in a potentially hazardous (to the camera, as in there was a chance of it being dropped) situation. A strap is a strap and I'd only ever consider buying another kind if I was regularly using the strap around my neck.

Bennymiata
21-11-2011, 1:56pm
When I bought my Black Rapid RS5, I also bought another fitting for it so it would mount onto a Manfrotto tripod plate.
This was so I could quickly put it on a tripod without removing the screw-in fitting all the time.
Sounds like a good idea, BUT, the screw they give you with it is junk!
The D ring flops around all over the place and makes it hard to mount the plate onto the tripod, as it keeps getting in the way.

The RS5 and the fitting itcomes with is excellent however.

reaction
21-11-2011, 6:45pm
ya know, are the originals really 'neck' straps?
cuz I've never seen more than the smallest DSLR around someone's neck, and they're not really long enough for that purpose imho.
they're the perfect length for the shoulder tho.
anyway...