PDA

View Full Version : New Member looking to purchase first dslr

hammop
16-11-2011, 10:26pm
you probably have hundreds of the same request but looking to buy a new dslr (probably canon eos 600 or nikon 3100) twin lens.. but I am so confused about pricing and imports vs purchased retail.. and have been advised that canon and nikon wont cover under warranty some of the camera's if not purchased from a retail outlet..

kiwi
16-11-2011, 11:05pm
Nope, if you import a camera it's only covered by whatever warranty the overseas retailer gives you.....and you typically have to fund its shipping too. Some grey importers offer a warranty locally, but usually just send it back to hong kong too

It's something you have to weigh up

Lenses are different (or I believe so still) as there is an international warranty

Buy Nikon.

Wayne63
16-11-2011, 11:06pm
:action66: Welcome hammop, Enjoy the site. This is only the new member intro section, if you want other peoples opinions on the cameras etc try putting it in the forums under the relevant sections. Don't forget to check out the library as there is some really good reading in there.

rwg717
16-11-2011, 11:14pm
Hi there and welcome to AP, Kiwi's advice is pretty on the money, need to weigh-up your options:)
Richard

fess67
17-11-2011, 12:34am
Kiwi is pretty much on the money here, you want cheap or you want warranty? You have to make the call. The truth is you have the same unit wherever you buy from, you just have to decide if you want peace of mind or willing to take the risk due to a lower purchase cost.

However, Kiwi has a flaw......and a mojor one!!!

Buy Nikon.

Please!!!! Buy Canon !!!!!!!!!!!!!:th3:

Welcome to the other Ford / Holden debate :D

PS, BUY CANON !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

ricktas
17-11-2011, 6:23am
Warranties apply to the Country of Origin, so if you buy online, or whilst on a holiday, the warranty is only valid in the country of origin, as Kiwi states. So say you buy it in Singapore, and something goes wrong, the camera has to go back to Singapore to get repaired under warranty. Buy it online from a 'grey' importer, who says sources their stock from Hong Kong, then if something goes wrong, back to Hong Kong you must send it.

Not all online stores are 'grey', so do your research.

Welcome to AP, pull up a chair and see you on the forums.

LJG
17-11-2011, 7:09am
Wecome to AP Hammop. Yes, it has all been said above. Rick is right, not all on-line stores are grey market. In fact there is a discount retailer only 30 minutes drive from you at Annerley that offers local manufacturers warranty. I buy there all the time and even though I have not had a claim, I know Canon Australia covers it.

Do your research thoroughly, and choose wisely. A point I would suggest is try to buy the best you can afford straight up. Many of us buy, then want to upgrade as we get better with our photography. It is often cheaper to go for a slightly better model straight away that will see you through a couple of stages of your photography. Have a good read of the gear section, it will tell you quite a lot.

kiwi
17-11-2011, 7:37am
If it helps too, I typically buy bodies locally and lenses grey or imported

peterb666
17-11-2011, 7:49am
I buy there all the time and even though I have not had a claim, I know Canon Australia covers it.

They never cover my cameras!!!!

Back to the OP, it is interesting that you are pitting the Nikon D3100 against the Canon 600D, a base level camera against one that is the next step up. I guess it says a lot about the differences between the two brands.

Both Nikon and Canon make good cameras and neither of them cover imports although it is possible to pay extra to get a 3rd-party warranty that will provide coverage without having to ship the camera back to the country of origen.

Regarding your selection of cameras, if you are thinking of the Canon 600D, I would be looking at the Nikon D5100 as the coparable model. These are both good first cameras and unless you become totally obsessive quite quickly, will serve you well for several years. The cost of the camera body is relatively minor by the time you start acquiring lenses and other stuff so I wouldn't be too concerned if you have got the right camera body at this stage but your initial choice can mean that changing brands is more daunting.

I would suggest that you spend some time playing with each of the contenders in local stores and don't worry about the difference of a couple of hundred dollars of that first base camera and get the best price (and service) locally.

peterb666
17-11-2011, 7:55am
If it helps too, I typically buy bodies locally and lenses grey or imported

As a general rule, I do this too but if buying a kit lens, it makes sense to pay the extra $100 for that first lens bundled in with the camera. Much better than spending 2 to 3 times the amount buying it separately.

Kym
17-11-2011, 9:14am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) and have fun!

Check the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Books:New_To_Photography_Book) book and equipment guide before purchasing - lots of good advice.

msenior
17-11-2011, 5:16pm
As with Kiwi I bought my body here and my lenes from the US at the time. I have no problems buying grey imports but as he said its something you have to weigh up for yourself.
My brother bought all his gear online and hasn't had any issues so far from what I understand.

Depending on what you want to get is kind of what you will need to decide. There is a mix of us on here that are pro canon while others are pro Nikon.

As others have said give the forums a read in some of the other sections and you will find a plethora of info about all of what you talking about.

Welcome to the site and enjoy

Mike

hammop
17-11-2011, 9:48pm
Thanks to everyone for their comments i will have a good look through the forums before deciding to buy... I had looked at the Nikon 5100 , but the wife liked the nikon 3100 (smaller) but when we went into a couple of shops the difference between the two was only just over a hundred where the Nikon5100 seemed higher again... and thanks to everyone for their advice.