PDA

View Full Version : G12 or P7100

andysaville108
06-11-2011, 12:44am
Hi my name is andy and I'm about to purchase either a Canon G12 or a nikon P7100 I'm tossing up between the two I'm currently using a panasonic GF2 but want a good camera that shoots good raw images...can people please tell me what they think of the two...

peterb666
06-11-2011, 8:03am
I would have thought that the GF2 shoots good RAW images.

The Canon G12 and Nikon P7100 are both fine cameras but IQ won't be up the standard of the GF2. I wouldn't expect a huge difference between the Canon and Nikon with respect of RAW images so I suspect there must be other reasons for wanting a camera of this type. There are likely to be some camera review sites with RAW images from these cameras so you can check them out.

arthurking83
06-11-2011, 12:02pm
Of the two, G12 is better. But as Peter said, something like a GF2, or Fuji X100 would produce better images in the long run.

Of course the mirrorless cameras (GF2/X100) don't have the same lens zooming capability as the G12/P7100 type compacts if a small size is a priority.

Karl
06-11-2011, 2:35pm
I have the G12 for my underwater photography and I love it. I shoot everything in RAW and find the image quality to excellent - have a search for some of my underphoto posts (ones from 2011) and this will give you an idea of what it can do.

I also use it topside sometimes and I like it for what it can do but do remember they are compacts and there are some limitations but overall it is a very good camera.

I have no experience with the Nikon so I can't comment on that. Have a look at DPreview for comments on both.

Karl

Kym
06-11-2011, 8:01pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) and have fun!