PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your lens clean

Dwarak
04-11-2011, 2:38pm
I was wondering how other people keep their lens clean. I used the microfiber cloth in the beginning but found that there was a lot of lint on the front element just after cleaning. Then switched to the paper wipes and found they do a better job they do not leave any lint. I would like to know is it recommended to use the paper wipes what are the downsides of it.

JM Tran
04-11-2011, 3:07pm
I use a microfiber cloth, the ones you get with Protog every time you buy something from them lol, works very well for me lately in dirty environments. When I am shooting at salty locations I always get a damp towel or cloth and wipe down the camera and lens body and element after, then clean element again with the microfiber cloth.

mikec
04-11-2011, 3:13pm
Yep same as JM Tran expcept I also find I need to clean chalk off my camera a lot too, either from loose chalk in the air from other climbers or my own chalky hands if I'm shooting between climbs. I find a wet towel works well for chalk.

I'll get the rocket blower out too if there is a bit of lint left on the front element after cleaning.

Bennymiata
04-11-2011, 3:19pm
For dust, I use a lens pen.
I hold the lens inverted, so that when I brush out the dust, it falls down onto the ground.
If the brush won't clean it, then I use a microfibre cloth (a big one I got at an optician) and failing that, a lens cleaning solution with the cloth.
The lens pen also has a small, round cleaner on the other end of the brush, and I have also used this from time to time if the mark is small and hard to remove.

It's important NOT to rub dust with a cloth, otherwise you can leave tiny scratches on the front element.
You are always better to either blow or brush off the dust first, then clean the lens.

Lens Pens are great to carry in your bag.
I got 3 of them, in a micro-fibre pocket for $35 at the photo show in Darling Harbour earlier this year, but you can buy them off Chinese websites for just a few $$.
One end has a retractable brush (good as it is kept clean and dust free) and the other has a cap and under the cap is a little piece of of some special cloth which you can use to get rid of more difficult bits.

kiwi
04-11-2011, 4:30pm
I don't

William
04-11-2011, 4:48pm
I don't

:lol2: Guess what I'm the same , If I really have to on a morning shoot , I always wear pure cotton T-Shirts , A huff on the lens and a quick wipe in a circular motion from the centre out with the shirt , Other than that I dont clean that often either :) And I do have a micro cleaning cloth , But I find they just smudge around a bit , Pure cotton works well :)

Xenedis
04-11-2011, 5:52pm
My lenses don't often get dirty, but when they do, I blow the surface dust off with an air blower, and then use a combination of a microfibre lens cleaning cloth and lens cleaning pen to do the rest.

tassam380
04-11-2011, 6:16pm
Buy a UV Filter for every lens you own, then never take it off. But For Cleaning I use a Lenspen and Microfibre Cloths.

Cheers,
Sam

kiwi
04-11-2011, 6:30pm
Nah, please don't. UV filters are a waste of money and degrade iq.

easty1
04-11-2011, 6:44pm
Nah, please don't. UV filters are a waste of money and degrade iq.

I'll second that:th3:

Xenedis
04-11-2011, 7:11pm
Buy a UV Filter for every lens you own

No thanks.

Why?

Explanation here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?63081-My-take-on-the-use-of-UV-filters).

William
04-11-2011, 7:16pm
Me neither , No UV Filters :eek:

JM Tran
04-11-2011, 7:23pm
hahahaha, the monthly UV filter debate/slagging:lol:

my UV filters which came with some 2nd hand lenses I bought serve their purpose of dust protection very, very well! They keep a particular spot on my on shelf very clean and free of dust below, and also protecting the wood from harmful UV rays too.

Xenedis
04-11-2011, 7:25pm

my UV filters which came with some 2nd hand lenses I bought serve their purpose of dust protection very, very well! They keep a particular spot on my on shelf very clean and free of dust below, and also protecting the wood from harmful UV rays too.

They make handy drink coasters, too.

I @ M
04-11-2011, 7:31pm
OK, the thread is about keeping a lens clean, most lenses have two ends and a body, please let us concentrate on what we do / don't do for maintenance rather than diverging into the same old same old discussion with filters.

A few knowledgeable opinions and a link have been provided on the UV filter subject.

So what other cleaning maintenance is required to keep a lens in optimal shape?

William
04-11-2011, 7:32pm

Thanks for the tip JM :lol2:Wondered what to do with the ones I have :D

William
04-11-2011, 7:36pm
Dont muck with them to much Andrew, To much cleaning can be bad , My main problem would be Mist and Salty Spray, Micro cloths dont cut it , They just smudge heaps , On the fly Cotton works well IMO - Bill

JM Tran
04-11-2011, 7:38pm
OK, the thread is about keeping a lens clean, most lenses have two ends and a body, please let us concentrate on what we do / don't do for maintenance rather than diverging into the same old same old discussion with filters.

A few knowledgeable opinions and a link have been provided on the UV filter subject.

keep the lenses and gear in a dry place/storage that is not humid - in order to prevent fungus and other nasties from growing inside the bodies. Where you live and work plays a part in that - here in Adelaide it is very dry so I dont need to worry about that problem, for someone shooting out of North QLD or Singapore etc it is an important factor.

Xenedis
04-11-2011, 7:38pm

IMO and IME, there's not much to it.

My advice:

Use lens hoods when shooting.
Use lens caps when not shooting.
Use a blower to remove grit/dust before making any contact with the glass.
Use a clean microfibre lens cloth to wipe the flass.
Use a lens cleaning pen (which consists of a brush and carbon-coated pad) for finer cleaning.
Don't use window cleaner, newspaper, paper towels, tissues, shirts, etc.

William
04-11-2011, 7:55pm
@ Xen, Have you ever been down on a Pre Dawn shoot (I know you have) , and encounterd Temperature Inversion , Fogging of the Filters is a big problem , How about the occasional wave splash on the lens or filter , What do you use then ? I still find Pure Cotton the best thing because it has the sponge effect , Where as Micro cloths dont , Wondering what your thought is in this Situation

Xenedis
04-11-2011, 7:58pm
@ Xen, Have you ever been down on a Pre Dawn shoot (I know you have)

Yeah, one or two. ;-)

and encounterd Temperature Inversion , Fogging of the Filters is a big problem , How about the occasional wave splash on the lens or filter , What do you use then ? I still find Pure Cotton the best thing because it has the sponge effect , Where as Micro cloths dont , Wondering what your thought is in this Situation

I'm not sure if I've encountered temperature inversion. My guess is probably not.

Certainly sea water is a pain when it comes to filters (ie, my resin grads) and glass. Spray is a constant problem, and yes, using a microfibre cloth just smudges the 'sludge' around.

Perhaps a cotton cloth would do.

I'm honestly not affected by sea spray all that much, and I have shot maybe one or two ocean-based seascapes this year, so I'm not hugely concerned.

JM Tran
04-11-2011, 8:16pm
I get around the occasional problem of salt water smears on the lens simply by breathing on it to fog up the front element, then wipe it - works better than just wiping as it does smear

William
04-11-2011, 8:19pm
Thanks mate, Temp inversion is probably more prone up here in Winter than down South, Say you have 8deg air temp , And the water is 20degs when you get close to the water you suddenly have a fog out on filters and lens , A real pain to get rid of . The only thing you can do is walk back away from the surf a bit and hopefully the condensation will go away , In time for the Sunrise, Other wise start cleaning somehow

fadiya
04-11-2011, 11:05pm
IMO and IME, there's not much to it.

My advice:

Use lens hoods when shooting.
Use lens caps when not shooting.
Use a blower to remove grit/dust before making any contact with the glass.
Use a clean microfibre lens cloth to wipe the flass.
Use a lens cleaning pen (which consists of a brush and carbon-coated pad) for finer cleaning.
Don't use window cleaner, newspaper, paper towels, tissues, shirts, etc.

Got it... Thanks for this information, I just bought my first DSLR and become a bit paranoid about how to maintain it :D ahaha. Now I can move to the next "information to find" in my list, cheers

sonofcoco
04-11-2011, 11:24pm
Clean them with Eclipse and some pec pads when they get really dirty. Probably every 6 months or so. Lens hoods and putting the lens cap on all the time helps too, as someone else said. A friend was wandering around with her lens the other week and no lens cap/hood/anything to cover it. I was horrified!

sunny6teen
05-11-2011, 12:48am
I use a microfibre towel...oooh....ahhhh. same thing but a couple of feet long. handy for cleaning and using as rudimentary dark cloth (lcd's can be hard to read during the day)

Plonk
09-11-2011, 1:19pm
I use my sons glasses cleaner to clean mine.

old dog
09-11-2011, 2:25pm
I have the Hoya ND400 and `pro` cpl and they are a real schyte to clean. I find the best way is micro fibre cloth, big fibres too and just breathe on them and wipe quickly. and Yes to the cotton tee shirt :th3: which I often use as well. Regarding lens cleaning....same as above except if I`ve been in a windy dusty place, then the soft brush first and hopefully last....that is after the full lunged blow off :D