PDA

View Full Version : Hi there!

thrtytwo
02-11-2011, 11:34pm
Hi, my name is Jamie!

I'm 23 and am generally interested in most things to do with design and aesthetics. I have studied both web design and graphic design, but due to my laziness in study and my desire for an income, I have ended up in a boilermaker apprenticeship (which I am only 5 months from finishing!).

I do however plan on studying externally next year (I'm thinking journalism and marketing) while still working full time.

I have been greatly interested in photography for many years. I first studied photography in year 10 (9 years ago). I was so excited about it, that before my first class I had took it upon myself to study online and find out some information about SLRs and basic photography principals. As a resut I was the only person in the class to be able to answer what SLR stood for.

I have a few highly recommended books such as "Understanding exposure" and "The digital photography book Volume 1" and a few more, and have enjoyed reading them thoroughly. They helped me learn a few little tips and tricks which I might have otherwise not figured out myself.

I recently reignited my passion for photography and upgraded from a Sony A350 to a Canon 5D Mkii. I am now at a point where I fully (I think) understand the technical aspects of photography, and I am quite comfortable using manual mode, but want to continue to practice and refine my technique and ability to compose a great shot.

I joined up here to get as much constructive criticism as I can, the good and the bad, and hopefully enter into a few competitions. Or at the very least get some inspiration!

My current gear is as follows:

Canon 5D Mkii
EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
2x canon battery
2x Sandisk extreme 8GB CF card
Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

Things on my to get soon list:

Tripod (looking at Manfrotto carbon fibre ones)
HOYA circular polarizing filter
HOYA ND400
Canon 580ex II

Things I want, but am not in a rush to get:

EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L or EF 17-40mm f/4 L
EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (non IS) or 70-200mm f/4 L IS

Photography to me is much more than just art, which it is at times of course, and I'm not simply jumping on the current bandwagon of people buying DSLRs, soon to get bored and sell them off. It is a way to catalogue my own life, and to be able to look back on it in the future.

Thanks for reading!

ricktas
03-11-2011, 7:56am
Welcome to AP. show us some of your photos, in the critique forums, soon!

Kym
03-11-2011, 1:44pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) and have fun!

thrtytwo
03-11-2011, 2:23pm
Thanks for the replies!

Here's my first upload, http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?94308-Dragonfly-at-sunset

Mary Anne
03-11-2011, 2:52pm
Hello Jamie and Welcome to AP.. Seems you have everything planned out regarding your future purchases.
Nice camera that one you have bought, and I will be looking forward to seeing more of your images on the forums

rwg717
03-11-2011, 10:03pm
Hi Jamie and welcome to AP:)
Richard